Help 04 SS tries to start but wont

Kessler drivjg home esrlier today and asi approached my house the truck bogged when I tapped the gas pedal so I just coastedintk the driveway and as I put it in park it cut out. I tried to start it and it cranked strong, acted like it was trying to start (like getting a little gas) but would not run.

There are no codes thrown. I can hear the fuel pump when I bump the key. The only mod I have is a cold air intake and thats it, rest is stock. Im not sure where to start.

Cam sensor? Crank sensor?, fuel regulator? I dont know, it ran well and all of a sudden it bogged as I tapped on the gas.

Any help and/or suggestions are most appreciated.

Kessler drivjg home esrlier today and asi approached my house the truck bogged when I tapped the gas pedal so I just coastedintk the driveway and as I put it in park it cut out. I tried to start it and it cranked strong, acted like it was trying to start (like getting a little gas) but would not run.

There are no codes thrown. I can hear the fuel pump when I bump the key. The only mod I have is a cold air intake and thats it, rest is stock. Im not sure where to start.

Cam sensor? Crank sensor?, fuel regulator? I dont know, it ran well and all of a sudden it bogged as I tapped on the gas.

Any help and/or suggestions are most appreciated.

Do you have cats on it? Also Get a gauge and see how much pressure uour getting on the injector rail. Pump may not sustain enough pressure.. does you gas gauge work? Sounds like a fuel issue.. also change your fuel filter its located under the driver side by the frame. Hope I could help. Good luck..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mine did the same thing and it ended up being a fuel Pump. If i let mine sit for 24 hours it would run fine. Sometimes for weeks, or months. The entire time my fuel pump would come on when turning on the key also(even when it would crank and not start) so thats not a for sure sign your pump isnt bad.

If your on the original pump its prolly tired.

any actual problem with a sensor would throw a code. I would say fuel pump but only sure way is to check pressure at rail. Most auto parts stores have a gauge to rent if you dont have or want to buy one.

Thanks for the replies, Im most grateful.

If it is the fuel pump, do I drop the tank or lift the bed? Im almost out of gas so im sure it wouldnt be too heavy to handle. Ive replaced a fuel pump on a Tahoe some years back so Im ok doing either

Thanks!

Lift the bed over dropping the tank any day of the week remove drivers side bed bolts and leave the passenger side bolts in 1/2 way acting like a hinge and use a 2x4 to hold it up while servicing the fuel pump.

Fuel pump relay maybe??? I had a truck that on really long drives or really hot weather it would die giving me symptoms of being the fuel pump, not giving me any codes or anything.... It would cool off itself then start and drive good again.. I changed the fuel pump only, cam sensor, alt and a bunch of parts and it would do it again and again... after a long time of changing parts and having it checked someone suggested the relay would probably overheat... I bought a new one since it was cheap and ever since the truck worked good... I sold it to my friend and he still drives it with no problems...

• 2 years later...