'93 Pace Truck Motor ideas

11 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about the more of the '93 Pace Truck?

• Pick up a few bolt ons for the factory 350
    • LS Swap it!

As most know, I am currently working on a '93 Indy Pace Truck. The truck does not have the original motor, but it does have a 350 TBI motor as it did when it rolled off the show room floor. The motor has around 80k miles. I have been fighting the urge to LS swap it. The fact that it wouldn't be the original motor in a truck of this rarity is what keeps me from attempting the swap, and the fact the 350 will be easier to work with for this truck. I can pick up a LS for about the same cost as the bolt ons, gain horse power and motor life, and I would have room for options for more down the road. Something about an OBS with a 5.3 or 6.0 makes my mouth water.

Please, give me some opinions. Anything really. Parts to use, mounts, etc is welcome. I plan on lowering it first, and getting the body in ok look condition. Then onto the motor, and then into the body. But I will pick up parts as I find them at a great price, and my pocket allows.

Edited by jddmj (see edit history)

When I was all about TBI trucks I resisted LS engines for years. Too complicated, too modern, too much hassle to swap in. What TBI's have going for them are they're dead simple and rock solid reliable. They're also a sonofabitch to build power with.

So consider your goals. If you just want to bump the power a tiny bit, you'll be OK. If you want a really noticeable power increase you'll be chasing your tail with tuning and spend a lot of money that won't net you what a stock LS can dish out.

My choice would be throw an LQ9 in there, even stock, and it'll roast the tires to your hearts' content.

Edit - guess I should qualify that statement to include that these days LS swaps are WAY easier thanks to all the aftermarket support and forum knowledge/experience out there.

My only GMT400-LS swap experience so far though was to buy a Suburban that had an LS1 put into it, and they did a horrible job, hacking the original harness together with the factory LS1 harness just enough to make it run. It ran like crazy though for such a big heavy truck.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

IMO now these days if you make a vehicle better then what GM or whatever brand better then what it was. Then you have increase the value so to speak. Some factors into that would be how tasteful was it done and quality.

Edited by chevybowtie72 (see edit history)

Motor is basically stock now, with a drop in filter. I am not sure on the gearing, but it will scoot the way it is. I'm not comfortable about the power until I get it dropped, and some better tires. So I would be happy with a few bolt ons, and to keep it original. But I have seen 5.3's go for $150.00, and 6.0's go for around $450.00. My thought was to find a wrecked truck, and salvage the computer and things. So the question I guess is......stay original, or make it what I really want all the way around. Its the only thing keeping me from going wide open on the whole project. I don't plan to turbo or supercharge it.

Edited by jddmj (see edit history)

Since it is not the original engine in the truck I would say its a no brainier to go with the LS swap, if your willing to do that work that is.

I would have to get help that is for sure, but I got enough friends with good motor knowledge to get it done I believe. That is one thing more tempting about the 350 though, I could do most of that myself. I could also just do the 350 until it blowed, then go with it.

Sighhhhh, what to do, what to do.

That TBI 350 can easily clock up 500K miles or more if you take care of it, so if you're gonna wait for it to explode...you could be waiting a while. :)

Richard

LOL thanks alot Richard. Im still up in the air about it. It runs good as is, started last night on second or 3rd crank in 20 degree temps after a week or so of setting. What bolt ons would you suggest if I went that route. Anything specific?

I think it would be cool to do an era based truck... Just think about all the new technology they had back in 93-94 lol... I'm sure that technology today would be dirt cheap and would be interesting to fiddle with... All the good ole edelbrock performer series top end packages, cam and upgrade the tbi unit... Sounds like fun to me while you keep it an era truck... Now if it was a regular Silverado 1500 hell yes turbo charged LS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be cool to do an era based truck... Just think about all the new technology they had back in 93-94 lol... I'm sure that technology today would be dirt cheap and would be interesting to fiddle with... All the good ole edelbrock performer series top end packages, cam and upgrade the tbi unit... Sounds like fun to me while you keep it an era truck... Now if it was a regular Silverado 1500 hell yes turbo charged LS!

See, this is what I'm pondering toward. This is the same reason why I didn't want a 454ss to do my build, because it would be taking away from its heritage. If it was just a normal c1500, it would be different. But what about 1993? What about the Indy 500. And I like cheap quality parts lol

The Indy came with a 350 correct? If so I'd stick to that theme personally... There are plenty options out there to make a stout truck era based.... I remember in high school I had a friend who had a 93 GMC with a Vortech 5 speed and that thing was killer.. Best of look and look forward to seeing what ever direction you take

A truck like that is only Original 1 time.

From a purist standpoint, If it does not have the original engine or paint the value is significantly less. You can restore the paint and graphics but it still won't be the value of an original in the same shape condition. It would be extremely tough to do a true correct nuts and bolts restoration.

As long as you're not hacking the frame or body to make it fit, I see no reason not to do an LS swap.

A truck like that is only Original 1 time.

From a purist standpoint, If it does not have the original engine or paint the value is significantly less. You can restore the paint and graphics but it still won't be the value of an original in the same shape condition. It would be extremely tough to do a true correct nuts and bolts restoration.

As long as you're not hacking the frame or body to make it fit, I see no reason not to do an LS swap.

I don't plan on selling it, so the resell value isn't the biggest factor. I plan on keep it around to be "Dad's old hotrod". At the point I'm at at the moment, I may wait on the swap until I get my own garage to keep it stored. As of right now, its setting in the drive way with the other two. The LS platform is so so tempting with that kind of horse power, with just a little money. I am seeing used LS motors, with wiring harness, and computers going for $600. Dirt cheap for the gains available.