"tip in" KR advice?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks, that helps a lot :thumbs:

I definatly have a better place to start. I know I'm not FI, but I would think the same principles would apply

Yep -- I think for tip in KR, FI only means that you need a bigger change to anything that reacts to delta air.

Let me know if I can help s'more.

You are using HPT, right? If you get stuck, I can try to help you out if you want to send me your bin and a log or two.

FYI: My current settings

KR Decay = 200

Burst KR settings = stock

PE Delay = 6000

MAP to enable = 15

Lately it seems like the stock burst KR settings work better. I think/suspect that burst KR does not show as logged KR, but still does influence timing in "tip-in" situations. On two recent tunes, the one with stock burst KR settings has no KR on tip-in or shifts - the tune with desensitised burst knock has KR on downshifts.

Took me a long time to reach this point... I finally found a source of false KR that was making me crazy. Will post soon on this...

On a non-FI truck, I'd leave burst KR at the stock settings as well I think. It's set up to measure changes in air flow that happen too quickly for the PCM to respond too. I modified mine upwards to account for the turbo.

I do think it shows as KR, though Deezel. Since I pumped mine up, the instant KR I used to get is gone. I am now getting a little KR one cell before I hit max PE (super weird...) I am currently trying to fix this by upping my PE in those RPM ranges.

I've also verified that setting the enrichment rate to 1.00 means you instantly step from 14.68 to the PE AFR you specified (at least the commanded AFR -- no wideband runs yet). So far, there is no adverse effect.

I can't wait to hear what you've found Deezel!

FYI:  My current settings

KR Decay = 200

Burst KR settings = stock

PE Delay = 6000

MAP to enable = 15

Lately it seems like the stock burst KR settings work better.  I think/suspect that burst KR does not show as logged KR, but still does influence timing in "tip-in" situations.  On two recent tunes, the one with stock burst KR settings has no KR on tip-in or shifts - the tune with desensitised burst knock has KR on downshifts.

Took me a long time to reach this point... I finally found a source of false KR that was making me crazy.  Will post soon on this...

please post it soon :thumbs: I'm about ready to throw my laptop out the window doing 75 if I get 9degrees knock again :shakehead::lol:

TurbochargedBerserker,

I agree on the burst knock airflow settings - I would definitely up them on a FI engine. I really only have the one pair of tunes directly comparing with and w/o burst KR. Sometimes it seems to help and sometimes not. :confused:

On the PE table. It seems like there is a bit of lag between the rpm, MAF, and commanded AFR fueling loop. I think some have suggested richening a little earlier than you might expect (lower rpms). :thumbs:

Ok.. false KR in a new thread..

Hehe I just tried that last night Deezel :thumbs:

What I did was steepen the PE curve and added more top end fuel. No KR up top and I even added in a bunch of spark, but I had some at non-boost, part throttle (weird -- first time ever). Doesn't seem to run as well though SOTP. I think I might have too much fuel now.

My plan is to smooth the timing table a bit and lean out by 99.5 until it feels Berserker strong again :)

I hope so  :D  My work schedule makes it tough to get to test and tune, but I'm gonna get "baseline" runs in before the 408 and new turbo.

I'd like to have the tranny done, but that will most likely happen with the 408.

Let mw know when you're going to the track, I'd love to check it out! :D

I keep watching that video on STS' website... the one where the truck is going through the tunnel... it impresses the sh__ out of me! :eek::thumbs:

Archived