Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

Year of truck:2003

Model:SSS

Trans:4l65E

Converter:stock for now (Putting in a Pi 2800 triple disk and bulid up the trans). I need a zippy kit!

Gear:not sure

Tires:stock

List of current mods:K&N CAI, dual in/out flowmaster

Possible future mods:built trans, tune, LTs, efans,

Goals for truck: 13's?

Uses of the truck:Its my DD but I do like to race a little bit here and there. Looking for something nice.

Thanks in advance.

I'd recomend using the Trick Flow cam TFS-30602001. The spec's on it are 216/220 .560/.560 on a 114LSA. This cam will have a slight lope to the idle and yet have very good around town drivability. I'd recomend LS6 springs for this setup. The lift being only .560 and using the LS6 springs will give you a fairly quiet valvetrain with good valve spring life. The rpm wouldn't warrent changing to the hardend pushrods, but going to a 7.400" hardend pushrod would give you an extra .005 of lifter pre-load back to help quiet the lifters. Not a requirement, but not a bad choice to use either.

are those new comp thumper cams any good i luv the way they sound but im wondering if there any good performance wise

They are good cams and only designed for performance. They do sound good and make great power. I just wouldn't recomend those cams for anything you want to daily drive. The LSA on them doesn't make for great drivability and the big intake to exhaust split really makes them better suited to an L92 style cylinder head.

Year of truck: 2003

Model: SSS

Trans: Stock

Converter: 3200-3400 n/a then it should stall 3500-3700 with the turbo.

Gear: stock 4.10s

Tires: 285 50 20

List of current mods: longtubes, full exhaust, CAI

Possible future mods: built tranny by danny, front mount turbo

Goals for truck: see what i can get out of it then go built motor with boost (then of course get a diff cam)

Uses of the truck: dd/strip (no towing)

also can i get it with a little bit choppy i know i cant get like a 112 lsa but just wanted it more aggressive than stock

If you want to go on the agressive side I'd go with the TSP Torque V.2. The spec's on it are 232/234 .595/.598 on an LSA of your choice. With a cam that big I'd go with a 114LSA to help with the idle a bit and low speed driving. You'll want to run Patriot Gold valve springs with a cam that big and go with hardend pushrods. That will require in person tuning with a wideband. I'd recomend that to be tuned in speed density on the dyno and on the street. If you were looking for a cam with some decent lope and better drivability I'd recomend the Comp Cams XR281HR from the list on page one. Neither are a good turbo cam, but if you're going to change the cam before putting a turbo on either of these two would be fine.

Year of truck: 2005

Model: SS AWD

Trans: 4L65E

Converter: stock

Gear: 4:10 stock

Tires: stock

List of current mods: intercooled Radix 112 stock pulley, Volant CAI, 160 t-stat, tb coolant bypass, Magnaflow cat-back, Wheatley tune

Possible future mods: Dynatech long tubes with cats, 2.75 pulley, MSD 8.5, 90mm tb, FLT level 5, WCCH Stage 2 6.0 or Stage 2 L92 heads, intercooler mod similar to the killer chiller, roller rockers, electric water pump, 100mm MAF, 24" rims 305/35/24 tires, possible small shot of N2o just for fun, in an ideal world tvs 1900 or 2300

Goals for truck: go as fast as I possibly can but still streetable

Uses of the truck: occasional daily driver, but very very rarely, weekend cruising mostly, rarely tow

Just want to say thanks for helping everyone and sharing your knowledge zippy. We appreciate it.

This truck I'd recomend the GT2-3 cam for what you want. If you're going to be running aftermarket cylinder heads with the MP112 you'll want to take advantage of the cylinder head flow without going too far out of the efficiency range the the MP112. This means you'll want to keep the duration down a bit and let the bigger flow of the heads do their job. The bigger split in duration of the GT2-3 cam will also work well with the nitrous. The spec's on the GT2-3 cam are 207/220 .571/.578 with a 118.5 ICL. I would recomend the Comp Cams 918 or GM LS6 springs for this cam.

Thanks Zippy! How would this cam work out for me? mti r1 cam 232/236 .575/.578 lift, 14 LSA

That cam would work fine. With consistency being your main concern I wouldn't recomend that much duration though unless you wanted to really up the compression. Your truck with a set of 5.3L heads with bigger valves and lightly ported though would rock with that much cam or even up to as big as the MS3. A set of heads like these Link or built like these would work well on your race only truck on race fuel.

Year of truck:2004

Model:VHO

Trans:4l65E

Converter:stock( will be putting in a 2800 with the cam)

Gear:3.73

Tires:265/35/22

List of current mods:lt's no cats, aero turbine muffler, u/d pulleys, zippy tune, 160* stat,plug wires, e-fans, cai

Possible future mods: shift kit, 30,000 trans cooler and the 2800 verter

Goals for truck: low 13's

Uses of the truck: weekend and sometimes daily driver.

For your truck I'd recomend the XER273HR. That cam should have enough to get you into the low 13's tuned in well with bolt on's and a 2800 stall. It will drive around town well and respond well to the 2800 stall. I'd recomend hardened pushrods and either Comp Cams 918 springs or Patriot Golds. The spec's on the cam are 224/230 .581/.591 on a 114 LSA.

Year of truck: 2005

Model: SSS AWD

Trans: Stock with transgo hd2 kit, vette servo and 4th apply piston

Converter: Stock ( will upgrade if needed )

Gear: 4:10

Tires: stock 20's

List of current mods: Volant CAI, 160f tstat , Pacesetter Lt, duel 3" exhaust with flowmaster super 44s no cats, blackbear tune

Possible future mods: TQ Converter, larger trans cooler, possibly a SC in the far distant future...

Goals for truck: Looking for good street power and good pull all the way somewhat lopy idle

Uses of the truck: Summer DD

Thanks for your time :cheers:

This is a fairly easy one with common goals to others. The cam I'd recomend for this is also the Trick FLow TFS-30602001. This cam is just a great daily driver type cam that also works well with a supercharger. I'd recomend that cam with some LS6 springs.

Year of truck:2006

Model:sss

Trans:stock

Converter:stock(will change if needed)

Gear:3.73(fixing to get 4.10)

Tires:stock

List of current mods:cai, flowmasters exhaust

Possible future mods:headers, cam, nitrous, n down the road a sts turbo n or a stroker kit!!

Goals for truck:to make good et times n to b able to kill my friends jeep srt8 lol

Uses of the truck:as a dd, i almost never haul!!!

thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Year of truck: 2006

Model: SS

Trans: 4L65e

Converter: 2800

Gear: 3:73

Tires: 305/50/20 rear 285/50/ 20 front

List of current mods: 160 stat, zippy shift kit+(servos), rebuilt/ rebanded trans, 2800 stall, jba headers, wait4me tune, jba wires, volant w/tube, 2.5 dual exhaust dumped, dropped 2/2

Possible future mods: L92 heads/ L76 intake, maybe a 100 shot down the road

Goals for truck: low 13's maybe 12's / smoke a couple of coupes and titans

Uses of the truck: Daily driven but garaged when im out of the country. Pull a small trailer back and forth from Home Depot(house projects)

Look at the Lunati line of cams but any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the time Zippy!

Year of truck:2004.5

Model:Silverado 2500HD

Trans: 4l80

Converter:Stock

Gear:3.73

Tires:35's

List of current mods:Tune,intake,headers (LT),exhaust,injectors,rods

Possible future mods:Unknown

Goals for truck:get off the line quicker / go threw the gears quicker

Uses of the truck: daily driven, haul lightly

My recomendation would be the Trick Flow TFS-30602001 cam. It's spec's are 216/220 .560/.560 on a 114LSA. The duration is mild enough to have a slight lope and yet will work with a stock torque converter. I would recomend a 2600 converter, but in a 2wd that might just make for a tire burner. That cam will also work well with a blower and a few guys on here are using that cam with a blower right now. Peak hp should be around 5600 to 5800 with a shift point of around 6200rpm. This cam is also good for a daily driver in that it isn't huge on lift which will help with valve guide, seat, and spring life. I would recomend using an LS6 spring with this cam.

Thumpr 275THR7

i have a 04 silverado 6.0 5 speed and ive been looking into this new comp cam thumpr do u think it willbe a goos application for my truck

Model:Silverado with LS7

Trans:neal racing automatic

Converter:stock

Gear:4:10

Tires:18's

List of current mods:none

Possible future mods:lingenfelter supercharger,magnaflow exhaust

Goals for truck:11's and fun on the streets :jester:

Uses of the truck:mainly use at the track, ride around town maybe every other weekend

Year of truck: 2004

Trans: Stock

Converter: Stock

Gear: Stock (4:10's) AWD

Tires: Stock

List of current mods: CAI, Dual Exhaust

Possible future mods: Headers, cat delete, 160* stat, custom tune

Goals for truck: Noticable performance and exhaust lope from cam

Uses of the truck: Daily driver, some light towing

Any info you ca provide for a cam would be greatly appreciated. Its not an Immediate upgrade that i plan on doing but i'd like to get a ballpark of where i need to go with it. PM me or repost on here, ill keep checking back. Thanks, Zach.

• 2 weeks later...

Year of truck: 2003

Trans: Rossler

Converter: yours

Gear: 410

Tires: stock

List of current mods: 112maggie s/c, rossler tranny, cai, ur tune, pacesetter long tube headers, true dual exhaust,plugs and wires

Possible future mods: cam, e-fans, new exhaust, 160 stat, and a new converter vigalante10.5 muti disc

Goals for truck: want some more power and a sick idle

Uses of the truck: weekend warrior/ i take it on long trips to shows.

what springs should i get also.

Edited by wild2003ss (see edit history)

Model:SSS

Trans:stock

Converter:stock

Gear:4.11

Tires:305/40/22

List of current mods:gibson exhaust(it sucks, I want to change it), k&n replacement filter

Possible future mods:whatever it tkaes to pep it up a bit

Goals for truck:I want it to have a choppy idle and be a little quicker, while still being able to tow my 7X12 enclosed work trailer.I would like to add a CAI, E-Fans, a shift kit (and converter if I need too), and whatever else you can recomend to acheive my goals.

Uses of the truck:DD, tow 4 to 5 days a week, horse around on the weekends

Thanks so much zippy. I know this tkes alot of your time.