Home Made Ram Air

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i see your idea is the try and reset the fuel trim by doing this, but if you managed at all to have any effect on it with your 0-60 runs after a couple of miles of normal driving it's going to go back to where it would have been before you went and did all of that. 0-60 run's don't change the programming.

• 2 weeks later...

So whats the latest on homade ram air...im trying mine next week and just trying to find out as much info as possible. I bought a second factory box off ebay for 10 bucks so i dont f* mine up too bad. So how much tubing would i need; i plan to go with pvc as well. :flag:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the homemade ram air too. I used 4" flex tubing, flanges and 90 deg elbow from Delta, available at any woodworkers supply like Woodworkers Warehouse. The stuff is made for a vacuum dust collection system and works well for the ram air. The truck seems to pull a little stronger in the top end with it, but I haven't been to the track yet since i put it on.

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

I am in total admiration of this project. Looks great and am curious about the results.

One question, and I'm not knocking anything. I wonder if the flex tubing, though easy to use and route, would have an efficiency problem as opposed to a smooth piping and smooth joint scheme, such as what was used with the PVC? Even the factory intake tubing uses a flex-tube intake pipe and I have wondered if that contributes to some turbulance thus knocking the efficiency down.

Another suggestion that I'd be really curious about.. thermal stuff. With the nice cool air coming in, I wonder if some sort of thermal wrapping on the PVC and flex tubing would help. I have thought about replacing the factory flex intake by the butterfly with just a straight pipe and wrapping it with a thermal wrap. There is a LOT of heat splashing on that intake pipe, warming up the intake air that is leaving the filter box.

Congratulations on the project. I think it is pure :cheers: and we are the beneficiaries.

I am in total admiration of this project. Looks great and am curious about the results.

One question, and I'm not knocking anything. I wonder if the flex tubing, though easy to use and route, would have an efficiency problem as opposed to a smooth piping and smooth joint scheme, such as what was used with the PVC? Even the factory intake tubing uses a flex-tube intake pipe and I have wondered if that contributes to some turbulance thus knocking the efficiency down.

Another suggestion that I'd be really curious about.. thermal stuff. With the nice cool air coming in, I wonder if some sort of thermal wrapping on the PVC and flex tubing would help. I have thought about replacing the factory flex intake by the butterfly with just a straight pipe and wrapping it with a thermal wrap. There is a LOT of heat splashing on that intake pipe, warming up the intake air that is leaving the filter box.

Congratulations on the project. I think it is pure :cheers: and we are the beneficiaries.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the flex tubing or thermal questions you have.

Archived