'76 chevy 350 upgrades

Ok so I from what I can find my 1976 350 (from a Blazer) has an incredible 165hp :yellow_loser: I am looking for something to do to it for now until I build a new motor. I have a brand new Edelbrock 750 Elec. choke awaiting the new motor. ( I think is too much carb for this motor) A Torker and a Torker II in garage. ( but I think a dual plane's lower range fits my usage better) I was just thinking about throwing a cam and one of my intakes and the carb on it for now, but I can't decide if I think it will fall on its face. (over-carbed, or wrong intake, ect) It will be at least next year before I get the motor but stock carb is junk and I occasionally like to drive the car around locally so I have to do something for now. Only reasons I was thinking a cam kit was I will probably have intake off anyway, and 165hp is embarassing in a heavy vehicle that everybody stares at. What are some of you more experienced guys opinions? Also car is full time 4x4.

Thanks for any advice you have :driving:

i had a 74 blazer years ago, and i know what you mean about no hp. :crackup: i ran a edelbrock RPM intake, with the stock Q-jet, headers. was not to bad until i put a set of BFG. A/Ts 33-12.50-15 on it with the stock 3.08 :sick: took all day to go anywhere. rebuilt the motor with what was called back then an RV cam, stock Q-jet and 4.10 gears, converted it to 2wd with the locking front hubs, and drove it as my DD for 17 yrs. with on problems.. :thumbs:

what worked for me was NOT going over kill with the motor, had tons of pulling power, and got about 10 mpg back then that was good mpg for a truck that size ( gas was only .65 per gal ) :P

good luck...

:seeya:

we have an 81 chevy 350 in our 76 nova. we figure we are running around 450 hp on stock chevy x rods, stock crank, stock rod bolts, afr heads, trw 10:1 forge pistons, performer intake, harland sharp rollers, hedman headers and a holley 4150 carb using a proform center section so it about a 780 cfm. we're turning the motor 7000 rpm and it's lasted 8 years + so far. So for now or even later i wouldn't worry about the bottom end(unless you go crazy, a simple turn down will do) just get it internally balanced later. For now, I'm sure a tow cam would help out, i would stick with the dual plane intake for torque on the bottom, and headers are a dime a dozen for the SBC. Or even pick up a set of used Dart heads with smaller runners like 180 i think, and i think 64cc chambers. Or search ebay for the chevy performance heads, i think the casting numbers ended in 461? We ran mid 13's with the chevy cast iron heads, so they make decent power on a low compression motor.

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Im in the process of building a stroker motor right now, but i can tell you this:

a 750 is too much carb for a stock 350. you probably dont need more than a 650 or even a 600 cfm. You should be able to jet your carb down

I have the perfect cam for a 350 sitting in my garage, I'll have to look for the specs on it.

I assume the blazer is automatic, so i'd say you want to use the intake that gives the most low range torque and power. If you have any questions PM me. I have built like 15+ 350 since I was 16 and all of them were in trucks or blazers.

Im in the process of building a stroker motor right now, but i can tell you this:

a 750 is too much carb for a stock 350. you probably dont need more than a 650 or even a 600 cfm. You should be able to jet your carb down

I have the perfect cam for a 350 sitting in my garage, I'll have to look for the specs on it.

I assume the blazer is automatic, so i'd say you want to use the intake that gives the most low range torque and power. If you have any questions PM me. I have built like 15+ 350 since I was 16 and all of them were in trucks or blazers.

Yes it is auto. I figured a dual plane due to lower power range but I already have the 2 single's, so I was hoping to use what I had and save the money for the new motor. I have a posting to trade one of them for a dual on a couple local sites. I knew the 750 was a bit much but I had to buy one and the 750 was $20 more than the 600 so I got it figuring the next motor may need more than 600.

Please let me know the cam specs.

The torquer 2 will be a bit less on torque at the very bottom rpm, but other than that you likely wouldn't notice a difference. Considering that you already have it, I'd just use that. I had a 78' Blazer that I tried all sorts of different parts on just because it was something to do and I had living at home with dad money to spend. I also had alot of friends that I used to help out with similar trucks back when I was younger. The 750 carb is too much, but if you jet it down, it will be just fine. Headers will be a good modification if that hasn't been done yet as well as distributor mods. I would change the advance curve in the distributor as well as change the coil with something from Performance Distributors or Hypertech. (same part).

Headers and exhaust are the very next mods after I get carb on. I am glad to hear its not a huge deal if I use torker II. How about a cam? Will it be a big improvement or should I just wait till new motor is built?

Well, you should be able to get a tunnel-ram under that hood no prob. :jester:

Like everyone here has already said, stick with the basics - correctly matched induction, new ignition, headers. If you want to splurge stroke it to 383 and get a set of aftermarket heads and a performer RPM intake and headers.

Oh - and for carbs get a Barry Grant, hands down the best carburator I've used period, worth every penny; get something in the 625-650 CFM range.

Mr. P.

Headers and exhaust are the very next mods after I get carb on. I am glad to hear its not a huge deal if I use torker II. How about a cam? Will it be a big improvement or should I just wait till new motor is built?

The factory cam is what you use to drive it home before you change it. :jester:

Well, you should be able to get a tunnel-ram under that hood no prob. :jester:

Mr. P.

Its not in the blazer anymore. :cool: Chassis is blazer, body is modified 57 wagon. Its close to the hood with current air

cleaner. :chevy:

The factory cam is what you use to drive it home before you change it. :jester:

You got me :banghead::crackup:

I was wondering if upgrading the cam on the stock motor would be a noticable gain or if I should just have patience and wait till next spring with the new motor.

we have an 81 chevy 350 in our 76 nova. we figure we are running around 450 hp on stock chevy x rods, stock crank, stock rod bolts, afr heads, trw 10:1 forge pistons, performer intake, harland sharp rollers, hedman headers and a holley 4150 carb using a proform center section so it about a 780 cfm. we're turning the motor 7000 rpm and it's lasted 8 years + so far. So for now or even later i wouldn't worry about the bottom end(unless you go crazy, a simple turn down will do) just get it internally balanced later. For now, I'm sure a tow cam would help out, i would stick with the dual plane intake for torque on the bottom, and headers are a dime a dozen for the SBC. Or even pick up a set of used Dart heads with smaller runners like 180 i think, and i think 64cc chambers. Or search ebay for the chevy performance heads, i think the casting numbers ended in 461? We ran mid 13's with the chevy cast iron heads, so they make decent power on a low compression motor.

Brad

just to clear things up...you ran mid 13's before the 450hp right?

just to clear things up...you ran mid 13's before the 450hp right?

oh god yes, we ran mid 13's on a mild cam and the gm heads. We ran 12.13 on motor before the roll cage and now with the roll cage 12.22 is the best we can do on motor at about 9.4:1 ratio now. 11.40 is the best off a 100 shot, but could have been better had i backed the timing down a bit.

Brad