550 hp on stock lq4/9

tried to post the link last month but wasnt working so ill just relay what i can from the second article.

basically they took a bone stock lq4 installed a set of the new L92 heads from the new 6.2l engine and a comp XR281HR camshaft with a 228/230 duration and a 112 lsa and made 551 hp at 6800 rpm's.

also they opted for ls6 valvesprings for another 200 or so. assembled l92 heads with the valves measuring 2.169 and 1.59 that flow 320cfm. they purchased them from scoggin dickey for 800 bones.

what was amazing to me was these heads flowed nearly identical to the stock cnc ported ls7 heads.

it should be noted that this was with a carburated manifold and an 850 speed demon carb but the numbers shouldnt be much less with efi.

food for thought for all you motorheads out there.

What would the 550hp translate to at the wheels and what 1/4 mile times would you expect with those mods in an SSS? I'm guessing somewhere around 400whp and a mid 13's 1/4?

Good estimate. Keep in mind this is N/A with a nice cam,... a propper stall is ESSENTIAL.

the article also noted a slight drop in low end torque as well. but this combo with ls6 valvesprings will also spin up to 6800 rpms where a stock headed/cammed 6.0 really shouldnt. they did not mention rod bolts but im sure that its a must to spin that many rpms on a stock block as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of those in my garage with the car intake waiting to go on a customers truck. :D That thing would have made more power with the right cam. I'd like to use them on the 6.0L in my truck also.

I have a set of those in my garage with the car intake waiting to go on a customers truck. :D That thing would have made more power with the right cam. I'd like to use them on the 6.0L in my truck also.

zippy, where is the huge difference coming from between those heads and my motor. We were thinking about 440 at the crank with my motor right? My cam is a little more aggressive then that to, so those heads and intake really make 100 hp more then my TEA's??

By the way I'm sure your "customer" is going to be happy with the set up. i cant wait to hear how it works out!

Brad

tried to post the link last month but wasnt working so ill just relay what i can from the second article.

basically they took a bone stock lq4 installed a set of the new L92 heads from the new 6.2l engine and a comp XR281HR camshaft with a 228/230 duration and a 112 lsa and made 551 hp at 6800 rpm's.

also they opted for ls6 valvesprings for another 200 or so. assembled l92 heads with the valves measuring 2.169 and 1.59 that flow 320cfm. they purchased them from scoggin dickey for 800 bones.

what was amazing to me was these heads flowed nearly identical to the stock cnc ported ls7 heads.

it should be noted that this was with a carburated manifold and an 850 speed demon carb but the numbers shouldnt be much less with efi.

food for thought for all you motorheads out there.

Thats not true about the hp # for the carb verses fuel inj. The fuel injection has torque mgnt and is governed. A good example is the LS1, its highest hp was 350 in the vette, dynoed about 260/280 at the wheels. My friend dropped an stock LS1 in to his 84 Olds Cutlass and dynoed 383hp at the wheel. That was with a 700r4, flowmaster mufflers, 373's and the eldlebrock intake with a 650 holley tuned for fuel economy. Even with real good tuning you might see low 300hp #'s maybe 380's with additonal bolt-ons. My truck with the bolt-ons and a 125shot just made 383 at the wheels, now I know its AWD but the carb does not govern the engine down. My firebird with the LS1(stock), headers, Edelbrock intake, Demon 650 carb, 6sd tranny, Flowmaster exhaust, and 3.45 gears should be about 420hp at the wheels. I'll let you know in a few weeks when its done and dynoed.

zippy, where is the huge difference coming from between those heads and my motor. We were thinking about 440 at the crank with my motor right? My cam is a little more aggressive then that to, so those heads and intake really make 100 hp more then my TEA's??

By the way I'm sure your "customer" is going to be happy with the set up. i cant wait to hear how it works out!

Brad

The heads that they are using are slightly better than yours for a N/A application, but not that much hp difference. There are many differences not seen that is making the numbers that they aren't showing you. Headers and intake change alone would likely be worth 50hp or so on your setup.

I'm assuming you know which "customer" I'm referring to. :jester:

Pic's will be posted soon.

I'm not surprised that this is possible when SLP has a 525hp cam/head kit only for the LS2. Of course you need headers, tuning, exhaust, etc. to make those numbers as well. I talked with SLP a week or two ago and asked them about the kit for the LQ9 and they said it would work, but their cam specs are race only and the truck would be useless for towing and low end torque. They did say however that they are engineering new cam specs to make the kit truck friendly and would still see 480-500hp N/A. Now thats enticing since the kit is about $3k for everything and the heads are AFR mongoose type heads. Install and tuen around $1,500 I would estimate and you are loving your truck...something to think about for those who cant or wont go forced induction...