02 sensor

I really don't get what a check engine light set off by the 02 sensor really means?

All this time I was thinking no big deal,just a bad sensor I'll just buy a programmer to deactivate the sensor so the check engine light goes off. But could a cloged cat set the sensor off also or any thing else that could harm my truck. :chevy:

Not really, the cat would have to be so bad it would cause some type of driveability concern, if it was clogged it would have to glowing red to burn up the sensor and if was just not burning off the excess fuel etc it would set a could for a bad cat (seen that many a times) if it is an O2 sensor code if probably is a bad sensor. They go bad quite often. They are actually suppose to be changed every 60k as a maintainance item. what is your code :dunno:

The code is in my truck but they said it was the right side 02 sensors. Theres two at 95.00 so I was thinking I'll just buy a programmer for 100.00 more bucks and get the added performance programes and code reader and just turn them off. I just wanted to make sure I don't need to look into this further before deactivation. Is there a way to check the cat's?

The only way to check them is with a scanner (not a code reader from the autoparts store) or a emissions analyzer. I have both :D

If it is an O2 sensor code your cat may be alright, If you deactivate them and do have a problem then you can always take them out.

What I'm not sure about is what is the the heater curcuit part? There is a diffrent code for just a bad sensor in bank 1 sensor 1 And then there is this one p-0135 that adds the heater curcuit to it. So what gives? Does this mean it's more then just the front drivers 02 sensor thats gone bad? :banghead:

That is a front sensor code.  Not sure if correct, but if numbered like on the engine, bank one would be the driver's side.

B1 is the driver side

B2 is pass side

:cheers:

Any issue with the front O2s should be handled as quickly as possible as Ben hinted at. FWIW I have P0141 code pop up once in a while (heater issue with driver side 2nd O2). Being that it is on the 2nd sensor, I could care less. I will delete the code on my next flash.

Did you check to see if the wires from the O2 are melted or pinched at all? I would just bite the bullit and get a new O2 sensor. I read somewhere where using the corvette O2s are better but you will need a pigtail to make them work :dunno:

Here is the code.  P-0135 02s Heater circuit,bank 1,sensor 1 malfunction

Is there a site that I can go to for info on codes?

If thats the code that set, then you dont have a problem with engine performance. These O2 sensers have a heater element in them to heat them quicker at start up for emissions. They do that so they can read the exhaust gases with the enigine still cold to keep emission levels down, they early o2 sensor were not heated s it took longer for them to start working. The engine would stay in open-loop (pcm does not control fuel trim) till the engine would get to operating temp then go into closed-loop. I replace them all the time for heater ckt failures.