$1,800 to spend where do i start?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the help guys.Sorry about the caps on first post!! :banghead:

How much should the shift kit and stall cost called around most est. were

around 1000.00 isn't that to much. what shift kit and stall should i ask for?

I hear the Zippy kit and Trailblazer torque converter work well together for a very reasonable price.

what are the stroker costs, ie cheap diy vs. the take it to the shop and pick it up when they are done.

If the 6.7 gettes better milage I'm in.

if you really wanna use the 6.7 the gas mileage will not be better. And while we are talking on this, i hit my best last tank......6.7mpg, ironic...maybe :lol:

what are the stroker costs, ie cheap diy vs. the take it to the shop and pick it up when they are done.

if you really wanna use the 6.7 the gas mileage will not be better. And while we are talking on this, i hit my best last tank......6.7mpg, ironic...maybe :lol:

Keep your fat foot off it and maybe you'd get 8, or so :jester:

Now I know you've read about this before.

Stroker assy is $2000, includes balancing.

Shop costs for boring will vary. You'll also need 42lb injectors, better fuel pump, and tuning. Pump and inj. are recommended, maybe not needed.

Now I know you've read about this before.

Stroker assy is $2000, includes balancing.

Shop costs for boring will vary. You'll also need 42lb injectors, better fuel pump, and tuning. Pump and inj. are recommended, maybe not needed.

at a minimum....id say 60#rs and FI :D

I say you put the $1800 in a special account just for gasoline.

That's a better idea. :thumbs:

Why anyone thinks that 408s are known for mileage, is beyond me. Zippy has gotten everyone buzzing about better mileage with 408s - and people thinking of doing it (not a hit on you zippy). Certainly not a common item. Not for the costs anyway. An easy $3-$4K if you're not doing any of it (high end).

Let's just say the stock motor gets 15mpg and a 408 gets 18mpg.

15mpg X 25gal = 375 miles per tank

18mpg X 25gal = 450 miles per tank

If gas cost $2.50 that is a $12 savings, based on the 15mpg.

If going to a 408 is a minimum of $3000, it would take 250 tanks to re-coupe the costs.

If you put in one tank per week, it would take you 4.8 years to do it.

Somebody can check my figures. It's not worth it in the long run, if you ask me. So IMO, if it's to save money in gas, it might not be as much of a savings as much as you think. Unless, you plan to keep your trucks at least long enough to re-coupe your cost and then start enjoying the savings.

4+ years to wait for it to help you would be a pretty hard sale for me, not to mention my wife.

But,.....if you want it for the increase in fun factor - go for it. :thumbs:

well, the milage the 408 can get isn't what you'd get it for. i think the 364 with alot of tuning can get the same kind of milage and better. one of the things to note is that once i changed the mass air sensor to one with a screen the milage dropped some. the milage indicated is much closer also from the display. the descreened maf did nothing more than lean the engine out. this is the same reason the 364 that was in there got such good milage for matt. he was able to knock down some very impressive milage with the truck because of the descreened maf running it lean as he proved to us coming back from kansas last year. i believe the 364 with some outstanding tuning and getting it to run lean at cruise could certainly net better milage than i was seeing. when i say i'm getting better milage than a stock 6.0L, it's because the 6.0L with a stock program isn't very fuel efficient. with alot of tuning work including many wide open runs and my last track outing included i'm averaging a bit over 13mpg. with the maf descreened coming back from detroit at around 65mph average i pulled down almost 19mpg. keep in mind that this truck has no rear bumper (has a bser roll pan), no spare tire, has a soft toneau cover, electric fans, cold air intake, good flowing exhaust with headers, open cats, etc. it's lighter and more aerodynamic than a stock SS. even through the display milage you can see a 4mpg difference in highway running between a windy day and calm day. there is no reason a 364 tuned specificly for milage couldn't get those kind of numbers in a very efficient lighter and more aerodynamic truck. like most though, if you run it down the highway around 85 mph, i'd bet you're only going to get 15 or so at best with this setup. the 408 cammed the way it is likes low rpm and anything past about 2300 it begins to have a thirst for fuel.

I've been trying to tell this to a certain someone on here, but he isn't giving it up. Going for a 408 just for mileage seems kind of funny really, to me. Most dropping in 408s have a total disregard of what it cost to fuel them, not the other way around.

Archived