Pewter C3

All the C3's, all the Sierra Denali's and all the SS's all use the same NVG149 transfer case, along with some earlier Denali's and Escalades. Same oil for all Dextron III, though I think any synthetic ATF is better, and the GM blue Autotrak fluid is the best!

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

AWDGM,whats your take on the SSS growling :banghead:  and the GMC's don't? :cool:

BTW guys (PewterC3,tamalon55)thanks for the replys.

Happy Holidays. :thumbs:

I don't get it. We have the same transmission 4L65e, the same front end, and the C3's have the same rear end. The Sierra Denali's have a Dana 60 with a Detroit Trac-loc posi, but other than that, these are the same trucks. The SS is about 2" lower than a stock C3/SD, but many have lowered theirs 2" like I did, so all is equal. I wonder if the difference is the extra sound deadining in the C3/SD? Maybe the C3/SD's have the growl but can't hear it as much as the SS????

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

tamalon55,I appreciate all of your input. :wtf:

AWDGM,I have a friend with a C3.We have taken both of them to a parking lot and made circles :ughdance: .From the outside the C3 is quite :cool: and my truck growls :tear: .Haven't done a test like this with a 2003 or newer GMC.Thinking GM changed the composition of the material in the viscous transfer case in about 2003, :dunno: hence my question about the fluid.The SSS recomends Dextron III also. :(

BTW,does the 2004's still have a "govener" in the rear locking diff? :puke: I herd GM went back to the old style. :thumbs:

Happy Holidays :seeya:

tamalon55,I appreciate all of your input. :wtf:

AWDGM,I have a friend with a C3.We have taken both of them to a parking lot and made circles :ughdance: .From the outside the C3 is quite :cool:  and my truck growls :tear: .Haven't done a test like this with a 2003 or newer GMC.Thinking GM changed the composition of the material in the viscous transfer case in about 2003, :dunno: hence my question about the fluid.The SSS recomends Dextron III also. :(

BTW,does the 2004's still have a "govener" in the rear locking diff? :puke:  I herd GM went back to the old style. :thumbs:

Happy Holidays :seeya:

The Dextron fluid actually doesn't go in the Vicous clutch part of the transfer case, that part is sealed and non servicable. Anyone have access to GM part numbers to see if there is a difference in the SS and SD NVG149?

Not sure on the SS's as far as the 2004 making a diff change. But All the Sierra Denali's 2002-2004 use the Dana 60 with Detroit Trac-loc limited slip, and 4:10 gears, the 01 C3 was the only one with the 3:73's

Archived