Smoked Tail Lights

04CHASE

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great, there is no way anyone around here could get away with that.  Yhe cops would be all over them.  :thumbs:

And where might that be?

In Socal we have some of the toughest laws and if you have the red reflector still visible and it works fine, your good to go .

Those lenses look ABSOLUTELY HOT, and thank you so much for sharing. I hope this thread gets moved to the how-to section. Did you apply six coats of smoke?? Or did you go with more?

Looks great, there is no way anyone around here could get away with that.  Yhe cops would be all over them.   :thumbs:

And where might that be?

In Socal we have some of the toughest laws and if you have the red reflector still visible and it works fine, your good to go .

I agree with 04CHASE, as long as the lamps appear red and can been seen from the minimum legal distance (500-ft??) I can't see why they would not be ok with the authorities.

Edit: Also, blacked-out lenses are coming on the Trailblazer, so local traffic enforcement might see this styling cue as more oem/mainstream than a mod.

Mr. P. :)

Those lenses look ABSOLUTELY HOT, and thank you so much for sharing.  I hope this thread gets moved to the how-to section.  Did you apply six coats of smoke?? Or did you go with more?

Looks great, there is no way anyone around here could get away with that.  Yhe cops would be all over them.   :thumbs:

And where might that be?

I agree with 04CHASE, as long as the lamps appear red and can been seen from the minimum legal distance (500-ft??) I can't see why they would not be ok with the authorities.

Edit: Also, blacked-out lenses are coming on the Trailblazer, so local traffic enforcement might see this styling cue as more oem/mainstream than a mod.

Thanks yeah i did about six coats of smoke and six or more of clear!i like them alot.I have had alot of friends wanting to there's ,I was thinking that smoking the amber front reflectors might look cool ill do it as soon as i find some time to rip apart my headlight housings

• 1 year later...
yeah itll be a while

After all of this time, I'd like to know how the Testor's clear coat is holding up... Without hardner, I would imagine that they have to be polished every once in a while??? :confused:

i sold the set i had on to some guy that wanted them badly so i told him give me your and 100 bucks joking around and he took them. so i did another set but i used automotive paint and used a a paint gun to shoot it ,just like they would painting a car . and they came out really nice. put about 3 coats of zaino on em and they look great!

I was thinking that smoking the amber front reflectors might look cool ill do it as soon as i find some time to rip apart my headlight housings

Make sure you use tons of silicone when you seal em back up.

:withstupid:

I blacked mine out - they look freaking awesome IMO:

Drop1.jpg

I have had an issue with a haze inside the lamps though. Over the last year the black paint and silicone has been gassing-off inside the housing - in the daylight you cannot tell but in the shade a good eye can tell there is a buildup of film on the inside of the plastic headlight cover. :sigh: Looks like it's time to find a used set of headlights on eBay and do it again now that the painted lenses have finished baking inside the housing....

I talked to misterP and 04CHASE last night via PM and IM, you both were very helpful...Thank You!!

Front Bow Tie = Black paint, then Clear Coat

Rear Tail Lights = Sanded down 1000 grit wet sp, then cleaned, then 4 coats of Black Translucent Paint mixed with a Clear Base, then sprayed on. Finished up with 2 coats of Clear Coat. Turned out pretty good! Going to tear the front ones apart this weekend and try the same with the turn signal lights.

Img0933.jpg

Img0934.jpg

Img0928.jpg

Archived