408 stroker kit

vtodd82

i did the forum search and only found a few threads with any info, most didnt help me. i notice i can get a 408 stroker kit for around $2500. can somebody tell me what kind of work this would mean for me to do(difficulty,extra mods on the side needed, tools required, can pcm4less tune this decently) if i took to a performance shop, how much should i expect in labor charges? any last but not least is this gonna give me some major power w/p blowing my tranny up - N/A only, no FI planned.

thanks for any help guys

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would need a block. New or the one you have. You would need to have it bored out .030" (think all 408 kits require this size - 4.030" bore). Kit should come balanced already, if not should get it done before they ship. Then have it built. The machine work could go between $250 - 500 (guessing). I would assume the build cost would be around $500. That's all for labor assuming you pull out the old and put in the new.

If you did it all yourself, minus machine work, not sure of the tools required - special type.

You would need a block.  New or the one you have.  You would need to have it bored out .030" (think all 408 kits require this size - 4.030" bore).  Kit should come balanced already, if not should get it done before they ship.  Then have it built.  The machine work could go between $250 - 500 (guessing).  I would assume the build cost would be around $500.  That's all for labor assuming you pull out the old and put in the new.

If you did it all yourself, minus machine work, not sure of the tools required - special type.

Ben, what kind of power increase would you say that you gained from just the stroker kit over the stock engine?

no i think they are talking 10+ for just all upgraded parts i.e. new heads cams ect.... eric and jeff are going for very custom engines for the demands they are looking for. high horsepower means strong expensive parts. i bet you could get a stroker thats basically a stock engine for cheap correct me if im worng, this is all an asumption

nick

Here:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9437

My plan was to upgrade the needed parts to make a budget 408 motor. I could add stock heads to start with and it would run fine. Ported heads would really up the power though. I planned to run a mild cam and good heads and expected to see 450 hp and 450 tq while still having perfect street manners. Most people who have driven a stroker say its about like having a Radix. Greatly increased torque and power as soon as you step into it.

For a fully race prepped motor, $10K would be cheap. Jeff's bare C5R block retails for over $6K alone. If you opt for the highest end components which can handle the most power, you'll pay the price. My thought is I'd probably never need the motor to handle over 600-650 rwhp, so why build it to handle 1000. I know power is addictive, but I know my trans, transfer case, and other parts can't handle it.

If you bought a kit and removed and replaced the motor yourself, expect $500 in machine shop labor. Boring and honing the block to 4.030, checking the clearances and installing the kit. Finishing the install of the rest of the motor wouldn't be difficult and would just need gaskets and a good torque wrench.

I used my own block. I spent around $7-8k on the engine, heads, cam, etc. The rest of my expenses were for the turbo and building the driveline up to handle the power. I plan on 750 - 800hp, and possibly much more if I can get the boost up.

Realistically, you can build a nice NA stroker with decent heads for $5k or so (the price of a radix/turbo). The rotating assembly should run around $2-2.5 for eagle, $3-3.5k for callies/diamond or lunati. Good heads can be had these days for $1500-1700. Cams are pretty cheap ~$400. The sticking point on an NA stroker is going to be the intake, but an LS6 can probably flow enough to support it. Its the incidentals that will kill you...

Anything that gets you this much power is a death nell for the stock tranny. You'll need at least a torque converter ($500-800) and shift kit, and probably a built tranny (tons of options there ranging from $1200ish to $2500ish)

My 408 cost right at $5000. This included Callies stroker kit, building costs, new camshaft, dual Walbro fuel pumps (needed for FI), 60lb injectors, and a few other inicidentals.

My heads, which I already had, have about $2000 tied up in them. But, personally, I don't think you really need new heads. A good porting job could get you close to where you want to be at a fraction of the cost. A year or so later if you wanted to improve, then get new heads. Or, two years for that matter.

A 408ci storker motor should easily get you into the 500+RWP range fairly easily with good tuning.

Archived