Simplified Electric Fan Post

vdrumright

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

What is your question about the manual switch??

I think that is a grounding switch and the other from the AC/PCM is a voltage one...I have to look at the wiring diagram for the harness.

• 7 months later...

Sorry if this has been covered but I read through the whole thread and didn't see it discussed. Does anyone have a good idea (preferably a dyno) how much power is free'd up using electric fans as opposed to the belt driven setup?

Sorry if this has been covered but I read through the whole thread and didn't see it discussed. Does anyone have a good idea (preferably a dyno) how much power is free'd up using electric fans as opposed to the belt driven setup?

Electric fans free-up 20 ft-lbs of rear-wheel torque, and you will feel it in the seat of your pants from 2500-3500 RPM, the clutch fan is a huge anchor just holding back your motor's efficiency. Improvements are seen in both power -and- mileage over the stock fan. Also, the general observed rule-of-thumb is that installing efans combined with an underdrive pulley has shown a 0.25-second drop in time for extended-cab trucks having typical bolt-on mods.

Mr. P. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the information.

Hi guys,

I have an 04 SS and this is a mod I'd like to do this winter. I'm going to begin looking for a set of 05 or newer fans in junkyards. Other than a pcm upgrade what else will be needed? Can I use the harness from the 05 fans? What year fans should I be looking for? Does it matter? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback i can get from anyone. Im also looking to get the PCM tuned as well so hopefully this is something that can be done at the same time. Let me know.

Thanks Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wanted to put a set of electric fans on my 04 Silverado. I've read the thread in its entirety, but I am trying to find a less expensive alternative. I don't want to use aftermarket fans, so I want to find a set of used stock fans. What vehicles do I need to look up to find these on?

The PCM harness I can make myself... that is not hard... I think. I can also reprogram the PCM (have access to a friend with CMR) for the fans.

• 1 year later...

For those of you that want to put in the fans, but aren't thrilled about buying an $80 harness that costs him about $10-$15 to make, I have a solution.

I am a senior Electrical Engineer from Texas A&M University and I feel that this is a simple harness to make and it is unfair for people to inflate prices just because they are the only ones who can "supply" a harness.

My harness incorporates a few extra features that I did not see in the other guy's.

1. A switched ignition wire so that if you leave the overide switch on, it wont drain your battery. His may have a relayed switch but this is safer.

2. Mine includes a relay to turn the fans on when the AC comes on.

3. I'm not gonna charge you and arm and a leg.

Bottom Line:

My price, for the diagram..... FREE! C'mon guys! What happened to sharing information so others can feel free to work on their own trucks and now have to buy over-priced plastic. I know some of us like to make stuff like this, so now you can.

Harness Diagram

Feel free to distribute this to whoever you want. Please don't sell it. Give it away. The GM community should be about helping eachother figure stuff out, not see how much people will pay for a simple harness.

If anyone wants me to make them a harness at a fair price, PM me. This will be limited due to the fact that I am in college and trying to finish my last year.

Also, If anyone wants/wants to do a write-up on how to install the harness let me know.

To the guys that make and sell these:

I am not knocking yall's harnesses, but we both know $80 is too high. Im sure your harness does a great job. I just saw room for improvement.

Can you send the diagram to me, I cannot open it from the link.

Archived