SUPERCHARGED !!!!!!

Dave, Out of curiousity why did you go with unpolished?  Does the polished finish need a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good, or was it just personal preference, etc?

Thanks,

Jeff

$$$ - the polished one is quite a bit more money.

I think the unpolished surface "matches" the rest of the engine better. The whole SS styling is a kind of clean understated look. If the supercharger was polished, I would then be tempted to start adding lots of chrome accents under the hood to match it and, well, after a while, bling bling... :puke:

efficiency - At least in theory, the unpolished surface is better at dissipating heat.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the supercharger was polished, I would then be tempted to start adding lots of chrome accents under the hood to match it and, well, after a while, bling bling... :puke:

Dave,

In my mind, your truck is pretty bling, bling already. But that's just me :D

-Ben

the unpolished surface is better at dissipating heat

That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought there was any difference. Obviously fins dissipate heat but polished and unpolished? Hmm Okay. :flag:

Well, like I said, "in theory". The unpolished surface is kind of like the rough surface from a sand casting. It has more surface area, and that is what you need for better heat transfer. Like adding fins helps act as a heat sink. Not sure if it matters a hill of beans, but the supercharger case does get real hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I put on my Polished Radix the first week of May and have been having an orgasmic time driving my Black SS ever since. Its gonna be about 113 here in Phoenix today and my sweet thing still just launches whenever I tell it to.

I've been up to the White Mountains twice with it and it is so nice to have the umph even at 7000 feet.

I am kind of a chrome guy, thats why I did Polished.

You mentioned the high pitched whine at a couple of throttle positions. Mine has done it since day one. My guy couldn't find a leak or a slipping belt and just thought it might be the harmonics!?? Did you get it stopped or do you still have it??

BlackSS

Actually I am a sucker for chrome too :D , I have a 64 Impala and generally love the old chrome mobiles of the era. :cool:

Have you taken your's to the track yet? And where are your pics? Got to show off a nice upgrade like that!! :thumbs:

I find that if I make several (3-4) hard launches without much time to recover in between (stop light to stop light), the power takes a dive as the heat exchanger (little radiator in front) takes a while to get things cooled back down. I am looking into putting a larger heat exchanger in the lower grill opening. Perhaps one from a Lightning :eek: The stock Lightning heat exchanger is over twice the size and there is an upgraded one that is 6 times the size!! I may just get a used stock heat exchanger, if I can find a Lightning owner who is upgrading and can stand the thought of his old part running around in a Chevy :jester:

Are you talking about the White Mountains above the Owens valley? I have not had my SS there (yet), but I have driven my S-10 up there several years ago. You can get up to 10-11,000 feet on the road near the Bristle Cone Pines. Really made the S-10 a dog up there. I have had my SS over the Tioga pass in the Sierras, just under 10,000 and noted on my boost gauge that peak boost dropped to about 5 to 5.5lbs from the sealevel 7lbs. Still spunky, though.

At first I thought it was the belt slipping, so I asked Magnacharger about the whistling sound, and they said it is normal. It is the bypass valve closing. You will notice it makes that sound as you transition from vacuum to boosted operation. You can even hold it at just the right amount of throttle and keep the whistle going, but if you push more or back off, it goes away. Mine still makes the sound, but I guess i learned to avoid that power setting and don't hear it as much now. Besides, I am a windows up, radio on kind of driver, so I don't notice it much. :D

I'll get you pics of my polished s/c soon. I think the $8000 I paid for the Radix, Exhaust and low restriction intake was worth it!

I'm talking about the White Mtns in Arizona, I live in Phoenix.

Thanks for your info and keep on whine'in!!!

BlackSS

Archived