SUPERCHARGED !!!!!!

I am heading out the California Speedway (dragstrip) this Saturday, weather permiting. Silverado60 said he would be there too, so mabey we can get some side by side SS pics.

I'll be chompin' on the bit for a post! :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guess I do load up the place with pictures, don't I  :D.    I am not sure I have a real need for them, even though I am a sucker for excess buttons and gauges :D

I am heading out the California Speedway (dragstrip) this Saturday, weather permiting.  Silverado60 said he would be there too, so mabey we can get some side by side SS pics.

No worries. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we enjoy your pictures. It seems you've always got something interesting to say or a picture of something cool, so keep it coming. You're like the on location Silverado SS anchor man. :D . A boost gage pillar would look nice. I love the big shiny gages and buttons to.

Good luck at the speedway. It's snowing right now here in Reno at about 4500 ft. Gotta love spring. What the hell is global warming anyways! :seeya:

An awesome amount of horsepower is barely adequate.  You are well on your way.  Concerns about the tranny?

This will probably be it for performance mods. At least for a while ;) I have spent all the money I had set aside for the blower and shell and this is my daily driver and I intend to keep it for many years, so I don't want to trade any more longevity for performance :) And the truth be told, even if the quarter mile time does not meet my projection, I still think the power added by the supercharger is just right for me. Lots of low end power to snap your neck back and make driving fun. More power is always welcome, but I doubt I would be able to make much use of it on the street (and still keep my drivers license :eek: ). The only place I would really be able to enjoy more power than this, would be at the track. To me, adding the supercharger has hit the mark that Chevy should have been aiming for in terms of performance. Everything else about the SS was on target for me (not counting the painted wheels :fume: ).

It feels like the SuperChips program that came with the supercharger has made the shifts quicker, which reduces wear on the transmission. I will probably look into a shift kit at some point, but I am not worried about it in the short run.

An awesome amount of horsepower is barely adequate.  You are well on your way.  Concerns about the tranny?

This will probably be it for performance mods. At least for a while ;) I have spent all the money I had set aside for the blower and shell and this is my daily driver and I intend to keep it for many years, so I don't want to trade any more longevity for performance :) And the truth be told, even if the quarter mile time does not meet my projection, I still think the power added by the supercharger is just right for me. Lots of low end power to snap your neck back and make driving fun. More power is always welcome, but I doubt I would be able to make much use of it on the street (and still keep my drivers license :eek: ). The only place I would really be able to enjoy more power than this, would be at the track. To me, adding the supercharger has hit the mark that Chevy should have been aiming for in terms of performance. Everything else about the SS was on target for me (not counting the painted wheels :fume: ).

It feels like the SuperChips program that came with the supercharger has made the shifts quicker, which reduces wear on the transmission. I will probably look into a shift kit at some point, but I am not worried about it in the short run.

IM not sure if the shift kit for the regular 4L60E works on our trannys, so you may not have the option of a shift kit for a while, you may want to look into getting a billet servo instead, thats what im going to get

• 1 month later...
[

IM not sure if the shift kit for the regular 4L60E works on our trannys, so you may not have the option of a shift kit for a while, you may want to look into getting a billet servo instead, thats what im going to get

The 4L65E is an improved version of the 4L60E. #of clutch & friction plates was increased and perhaps some other internal mods that I'm not aware of. But I don't understand the shift kit? The shifts are under the computers control, the line pressure ect can be adjusted by the computer, does the shift kit have a revised valve body with larger openings ect????

What parts come in a 4L60E shift kit? Anyway the parts should be interchangable between the two as far as I know. And I don't know much about this subject... :confused:

MN C5 - You are right on. The 4L65E is a 4L60E with more clutch and friction plates and a few more upgraded internals including a hardened 5 pinion planetary gear.

As I undershand it, a shift kit increases line pressure making shifts more crisp with more pressure. Those are functions that can be controlled with the computer. I guess for someone who doesn't have LS1 edit or any other way to tune the settings, a shift kit is the answer to increased line pressure and firmer shifts.

BigTex, any idea where I could get a larger lower pulley? It appears the stock lower is 7.5 inches. I'd like to find one atleast a 1/2" larger... After going through the Radix kit, it comes with a inline pump and not a boostApump, hopefully this will feed the motor....Thanks for the heads up on LS1speed

The new motor is installed. :D Finishing it will take a couple more days. (Monday & Tuesday) This is an evening project but everything is pretty straight forward. The exhaust will be a make it up as we go type of an affair. As long as its not much louder than a stock SS :nonod:

I'm not sure where to get a lower pulley for that Radix kit. Does Magna offer one? You may be able to use a lower pulley from another type kit, even the old style Magna. Main concern I have if the number of ribs on the pulley and the offset distance from the crank. I'm thinking that you could shave / shim the lower pulley a small amount wo create the correct fit. You'll need to take some measurements onthe spacing from the stock crank pulley and the Magna one. It might be possible to use a Whipple pulley. I know whipple makes several differnet sizes of the lower pulley. After you have your measurements, take som detailed pics of the lower pulley, and ask some guys with whipples to take some measurements of their pulleys for you.

Let me know if you need any help. I know several guys with Whipples and one in particular who has 9 pulleys total I think.

Richard

dcairns,

I have loved reading about your SC SS. :thumbs: The pics are great too. I haven't heard of anyone instaling magnachargers out here, so I may try something different just to do some comparisons to what you have experienced. I was thinking about the ATI system. The nice thing about that is I know someone that can install it for me at a nicely reduced cost. However I don't know when I will be able to cough up the dough, so I'll try to keep you posted. I should probably go to the track before I do any changes so that I may get a more accurate measure of increase instead of going on what GM said it could do. This will also be a good comparison of a roots supercharger compared to a centripital system.

Drove 3 1/2 hours this weekend pulling a boat and got 6-8 miles per gallon :puke: . Yikes!

Drove 3 1/2 hours this weekend pulling a boat and got 6-8 miles per gallon :puke: .  Yikes!

Three questions:

What is the weight of the boat?

What speed were you towing?

How many miles are on your truck?

QUOTE (gabbett1 @ Jun 16 2003, 11:30 AM)

Drove 3 1/2 hours this weekend pulling a boat and got 6-8 miles per gallon  .  Yikes!  

Three questions:

The boat is 4400 lbs, I was traveling around 80 mph, and I have 1600 miles on my truck. :chevy:

QUOTE (gabbett1 @ Jun 16 2003, 11:30 AM)

Drove 3 1/2 hours this weekend pulling a boat and got 6-8 miles per gallon  .  Yikes!  

Three questions:

The boat is 4400 lbs, I was traveling around 80 mph, and I have 1600 miles on my truck. :chevy:

Pretty heavy boat. I have noticed when towing that if I slow down to around 60-65, my mpg is much better. Somewhere around 70 it drops way off, although a s-chgr may help, don't think even it will do much with speeds of 80mph with a 4500lb boat attached. I could be way off when talking about the s-chgr.

My boat weighs around 2200lbs and this is what I have noticed. Who wants to go that slow though, right? Did the truck tow it well?

Well, as an indication of what a supercharger does with towing........ I submit my experience towing with my '01 Lightning. Bone stock, with Expedition 16" wheels and tires and a weight distribution hitch.

Situation 1: Towing 7500lbs 580 miles. This is from 5700ft to sea level to 7200ft to 2000ft and back up to 7200ft and back down to 5000ft with plenty of heavy climbs in there. When weather permitted, we would be running at the speed limit or close......... say a max of 75mph. There was a great deal of 5-25mph running also in a horrible snow storm. Average fuel economy for the trip was 11-12mpg.

Situation 2: Towing 8500lbs 580 miles. The same elevation situation, and hilly situation as Situation 1. Weather was great, and the speed was the limit or above........ up to 80mph. Average fuel economy for this trip was just a hair under 10mph (9.87 to be exact).

Thus, my feeling is that under situations of stress, the supercharged engine will get better fuel economy because it does not have to work as hard to do the same things that the N/A engine does. Most N/A gas engines absolutally suck on fuel economy when towing. Our Lightning has been a very pleasant surprise in that department. :)

Archived