SUPERCHARGED !!!!!!

I got my SS back today !!! They said to give it 500 miles before giving it full throttle, but it is hard to resist :D . I have not heard of "breaking in" for a supercharger, but that is what they said. Did a passing maneuver on the freeway, and was doing 105 before I knew it. Wish there had been some more room, I would like to see if the speed governor has been raised. The funny thing is, even at that speed, it feels very stable and in control, like you could be driving with one hand on the wheel. Has more umph off the line, but at part throttle it is hard to compare with before. Gotta wait a bit.... :(

The install of the supercharger looks great. Very nice looking under the hood. I got the unpolished version, and it fits in with the rest of the engine. The intercooler fits nicely on brackets in front of the trans cooler.

The supercharger is quiet at idle or cruising, but give it some throttle and it make a nice growly whine. There is also a high pitched sound that comes at certain throttle positions. It may be the belt slipping or the bypass valve. I will have to monitor that. With comparatively low boost, it should not have problems with belt slippage.

It is nice to be back in my SS, Hope I can make it to the track this weekend to see what it will do on the 1/4 mile :D There is some rain in the forecast for Saturday though...:(

And, yes, there will be pics posted :P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my SS back today !!! They said to give it 500 miles before giving it full throttle, but it is hard to resist :D .  I have not heard of "breaking in" for a supercharger, but that is what they said.  Did a passing maneuver on the freeway, and was doing 105 before I knew it.  Wish there had been some more room, I would like to see if the speed governor has been raised.  The funny thing is, even at that speed, it feels very stable and in control, like you could be driving with one hand on the wheel.  Has more umph off the line, but at part throttle it is hard to compare with before.  Gotta wait a bit.... :(

The install of the supercharger looks great.  Very nice looking under the hood.  I got the unpolished version, and it fits in with the rest of the engine.  The intercooler fits nicely on brackets in front of the trans cooler.

The supercharger is quiet at idle or cruising, but give it some throttle and it make a nice growly whine.  There is also a high pitched sound that comes at certain throttle positions.  It may be the belt slipping or the bypass valve.  I will have to monitor that.  With comparatively low boost, it should not have problems with belt slippage.

It is nice to be back in my SS,   Hope I can make it to the track this weekend to see what it will do on the 1/4 mile :D  There is some rain in the forecast for Saturday though...:(

And, yes, there will be pics posted   :P

Congrats... Enjoy it.. :cheers:

Keep us posted. I'm wondering how long it won't take for you to get past your breakin period!! :D

Cool Dave! :cool: Now I am really really jealous! I wont have the money any time soon to do anything like that with mine.... Have fun and I am looking forward to the pictures and results! :)

Justin :chevy:

:eek: ....Ahhhhh, blower.....(drooling). Please call my wife and tell her it is a necessity to have with the SS :cry: . Maybe say it gives the truck 30MPG and will pay for itself in 4 years. Seriously though, please give as much information on the whole experience. I am specifically interested in cost (everything), performance gains, look (I know pics are coming :P ) and in your opinion if the whole thing was worth the cost. Enjoy!!! :thumbs:

zippy - no exhaust for now. Having looked at the underside, I am not sure replacing it would get me much. And I like the balance of free flowing vs exhaust noise that Chevy has come up with.

Krambo- I planned ahead, and last summer when I was driving the S-10 in the mountains (at about 8000ft) mentioned how the power really went down up in the mountains. It actually was doing rather poorly between the poor gearing due to the larger tires and the altitude. And then I casually mentioned how a supercharger would fix that problem. So when it came time to buy the SS, I set aside the money for the supercharger so she would not object to spending money we "don't have". Of course that was a bit of a shell game, since setting aside the money for the supercharger lessened the down payment, but you get the idea :D So, I had a practical excuse and cash in pocket to smooth things out with the wife. Of course she is just great gal and does not seem to mind my "strange hobbies" too much. Still, she did give a bit of the rolling eyes, oh well look to me when I told her how much it was. $5175 + 780 installation= $5955. Only $600 more than the Whipple was going to run me from Pacific Performance. Still a chunk of money, though. That is the other reason I set aside the cash before buying the truck, once the payments kick in, it is hard to find the spare cash for a supercharger.

My SES light came on when I was driving home last night, accompanied by a slight hesitation off the line. So I am going to have to take it back in to see what is up. They had a SES light come on when they were working on it and the code was for a lean condition. Isn't it fun being on the "bleeding edge". Still a few bugs to iron out on the programming, it seems.

I have some pics, but my web hosting service decided to move me to another server and I have to wait a day or two for my DNS changes to propagate before I can link to them.

As to whether it is worth $6000? I will tell you after I am able to give it some full throttle testing. So far, I love the way it gives a more low end punch and does not need to down shift and rev high as readily as before. And then there is that whole "teenage dream fulfillment" thing - finally getting my Chevy V8 with a blower :cool:

I have some pics, but my web hosting service decided to move me to another server and I have to wait a day or two for my DNS changes to propagate before I can link to them.

Dave, can you link the pics via an IP address instead of a DNS name? Like http://65.216.0.146/index.html ???

If you'd like, you can send them to me and I'll post them up for you.

Richard

Archived