408 build up commencing

TurbochargedBerserker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I just talked with APE...  They say that since I have 11000 miles on my valve train, use the stock rockers and lifters.  Nick told me that whether I have stock or comp pro mags, I'll be replacing them at 45000 miles.

Well....they are shown here:

Comp Look deeper into the site and you'll see pics of them.

I won't debate what your builder says, I just don't see why there would be a need. Certainly if something goes astray and breaks. I guess you just have to see these things in person. They are some serious stout steel pieces. I would go with rebuilding them, however. They are rebuildable.

These would just take you to an adjustable valve train - that's all.

Those are both good points, Ben.

I was pretty surprised at APE's stance on it. They "never" run anything but stock rockers and lifters.

I dunno. I want to talk to my local guy again. I definitely see the point on the lifters not being worn at 11k, but when better to upgrade lifters? Once those heads are on, hopefully they aren't lifting off again...

APE also said there was a company making shaft mounts for about $500 (Yelo???).

Yeah, Yella Terras, or YTs as they are referred to. Go to the LS1tech for sale section and you'll find them in groves. Seems they are a decent priced adj, but doesn't seem like the best quality. They are shaft mounted in pairs.

If I wanted to get shaft mounts, I would go to the Patriot site. Comp makes them also, as does Jezel(sp?). But you will definitely have to go with valve cover spacers, or like Jeff with higher valve covers. Pats will run about $450, Comp and Jezel are like $695.

• 4 weeks later...

Little update:

Tranny and TC back out and waiting on the box from Chuck @ FLP. Motor out and waiting on the machine shop to be ready. Berserker crazy and getting crazier...

Ended up with a set of TEA Stage III 6.0L heads that Brian Tooley had and would customize for me and gave me a very good price on.

CR will be 8.74:1, block will be decked to 9.240 to give piston deck of -0.008.

Archived