408 build up commencing

TurbochargedBerserker

In case you haven't already seen it, I was going to get some runs in once the FLP L5 / PI 10.5" TC seated, but lost the TC lining on the first day of tuning after the break in period.

Chuck @ FLP is being great about it and has already started building a new tranny for me with a few extra pieces of billet (the thinking is right now that the PI had a manufacturing defect as it didn't go on power -- regular cruising at low throttle, but has not been checked out for sure yet).

Since the tranny is coming out again, so is the motor.

Stock crank is being replaced with a Callies 4" stroker

rods replaced by callies rods

ARP Main stds

Pistons replaced with diamond 0.030" overs (dished to 9:1 CR)

cam replaced by a 230/236 .600/.600 114lsa

heads being replaced by APE race heads that flow 337 @ .600 (from memory --

might be wrong on the flow)

pushrods replaced by hardened pushrods

ARP L19 head studs

fresh cometic gaskets

44# injectors replaced by 60#ers

stock fuel pump replaced by dual Walbro GSS340 255lph in-tank pumps, one wired to a 5psi hobbs switch

GT67 replaced by GT70 with .96 A/R

Adding FMIC

I am planning on keeping the stock rockers and lifters, although the Harland Sharp 1.7's are tempting for the money. I also think I will end up adding a FPR on the rail, but am hoping the fuel pumps will do the job (and know they probably won't).

Hopefully this will be a 750-800 fwhp combo. With the meth and the FMIC, the GN guys are all telling me I will be able to run 18-24psi :eek: Parish is telling me it will be a 10 second truck (or close to it).

I'll try to get as many pics as I can (of everything) and get 'em posted. I've just been busy (and lazy on pulling em off the camera).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about time brother....... :smash::smash::smash:

A few things to look at....

-Look at the FAST intake, you'll have to reconfigure some things, but it should flow better and you can port out your TB to help flow also....

-Do the roller rockers, nothing like the sound of a built motor with rollers....

-I moved the coils; it made a cleaner look.....

Have it ready by the Hot Rod Power Tour, and we'll have some fun.... :driving:

Well first you ahve to see if the STS kit will support the hp. Thats a lot of small pipe for a huge amount of air to go through. Rember its all about the air you can move through the motor and make use of. Not just PSi on the gauge. that being said. 800fwhp should be attainable with 14-16 psi really if all is well with those kind of cubes. Also I dont see too much gain in changing to a fast intake for the trouble. Also if a intake swap and a 90mm tb are what you would like, why not the ssr 90mm intake with a TPIS tb.

Well first you ahve to see if the STS kit will support the hp. Thats a lot of small pipe for a huge amount of air to go through. Rember its all about the air you can move through the motor and make use of. Not just PSi on the gauge. that being said. 800fwhp should be attainable with 14-16 psi really if all is well with those kind of cubes. Also I dont see too much gain in changing to a fast intake for the trouble. Also  if a intake swap and a 90mm tb are what you would like, why not the ssr 90mm intake with a TPIS tb.

Good points.....

On the SSR intake and 90mm TB, do you have to move the waterpump and idler pulley out of the way?

.....Also  if a intake swap and a 90mm tb are what you would like, why not the ssr 90mm intake with a TPIS tb.

Good points.....

On the SSR intake and 90mm TB, do you have to move the waterpump and idler pulley out of the way?

No to the waterpump move, but the 05 SSR intake isn't 90mm on the inside. Its got a 90mm opening, then squeezes down to the 78mm internal opening just like the existing trucks intake. I don't think the SSR intake willl flow much more than the current truck intake. TPIS doesn't make a throttle body that will work on our trucks either.

A stock intake is good to beyond 20psi. Also I forgot all about the drive by wire got too many setups runnin through my head. As far as a intake goes I do not see enough benifit for all the troubles you have to go through. the new 90mm drive by wire is controlled entirely through the ecu so thats out of the question too.

TJ

Just back from the engine builders... Good news: looks like I already have a vacuum refenced FPR on the fuel rail. So the only reason to move to an afermarket would be adjustability and more flow. I'm thinking the twin 340s will handle everything nicely.

I'm pretty sure the GT70 will feed the 408 -- Rick Squires ran this turbo (and cam) on his 396 with no problems. It is actually a streetable turbo for that size with around a 3400rpm full boost range (at least on the 396).

I looked long and hard at intakes a few months ago. At that time, FAST was saying they only supported their intakes up to 10psi (but there are now plenty of guys over on LS1 tech that are running it into the 20s). I could switch to an LS6, but it seems like the gains are all that big -- maybe more in the 6000 range? It didn't seem worth the effort. I know its probably gonna be my bottleneck. If it is too limiting, I'll probably look into a sheet metal intake or an alum. p&p deal.

I think I'm going to go for those harland sharp rockers... $300 bucks is pretty decent for insurance on the revs, I think. Oh -- the builder also recommended a new set of lifters -- despite the low mileage on the current set. I think stock is probably gonna be the best bet there. Opinions?

Oh.. and something that might make TJ grin... I found a nice spot on the dash for a little red switch if I need to step up to an even bigger turbo. I wonder if NOS and meth like each other? :devil:

I still have my stock intake on, but I did port the TB out......I will upgrade one of these days....

I went three different ways before I decided on what rockers to use on my motor..... :crazy:

I ended up using the Comp Pro Magnum 1.75....Right around $400...

And I went with bigger valve covers to make sure I had good clearance....

One think I forgot....I used the LS6 PVC system & valley pan cover....

Keep us up to date with your progress..... :thumbs:

Couple of questions for berserker. Which callies crank are you using? Dragonslayer? What size rods? And, have you thought about going to 420?

They all came as part of a rotating assembly from APE (I think the crank is a magnum plus). The rods are also Callies and looke like Oliver forged. The 420 wasn't an option and I wanted a complete kit :)

Archived