Real world speed

JAG

There's enough of us driving these things now that some opinions ought to be forthcoming. For real world, cut and thrust type driving how do you feel your SS is stacking up? My other cars are a '99 Porsche, 2001 Audi Allroad, and my old Dakota R/T so I'm used to having my cake and eating other peoples too if I want. The Dakota is small enough and fast enough off the line that it will jump into any gap in traffic that the Porsche or Audi can if traction isn't a factor. I'm just starting to see what my SS will do but it seems like the awd kinda makes up for the greater bulk it has over the Dakota but still that physical size is just forcing me to drive a little more conservative than I would have to otherwise. :smash:

I am still getting used to the size. The dimensions have not become instinctive yet, so I play it a bit safe when cutting people off :D Wouldn't want to tear off my rear bumper on some scrap heap ricer going 25mph in the fast lane :fume: . Compared to my S-10, it is smoother, quieter, more stable and alot quicker. I have been driving my S-10 again while the supercharger gets installed in the SS and the S-10 feels underpowered, does not stop as fast, and feels skittish on the highway :eek: .

I do wish the SS would not downshift so readily. When you want to jump into a opening in traffic, the delay caused by the downshift is not welcome. Perhaps this will not be as much of a problem as I get used to the way the computer thinks. I was well adjusted to the mechanical ways of my '64 Impala and my '91 S-10. The computer control seems to be a little more complex to second guess. Part of the problem is that I am used to punching full throttle in situations like that, and it is not necessary with the SS, so my lead foot is still learning. :P

'02 4 door Blazer

'91 LX Mustang (Novi blown DSS 347)

'03 SS Silverado

Getting out of my 99 5.3 extended 4x4 4:10 rear and into the SS was a treat. I had expected more snot from the 6.0L but it is sufficient. The AWD was the selling point for me. It is deffinately quick and takes turns/evasive maneuvers rather well for a big truck...much better than my 99. Again, I bought the SS to be a fun, versatile vehicle and I believe I got my $$$ worth. It holds a baby seat just fine, AWD, don't have to worry about pulling out into traffic, hauls whatever I need and looks good doing it. The real test for me is in the winter when I will be hauling my snowmobile trailer. Ask this question 8 months from now :P

Archived