My drive shaft snapped in half

jmontero146

On 2/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, jmontero146 said:

My rear driveshaft on my 03 silverado ss snapped in half. I have the aluminum driveshaft..whats the part number i need for a new one? Its an awd.

Should be 15200239 but it's gonna be discontinued from GM.  Dorman makes one but I dunno if I'd trust it.. but it's the only new one listed on Rockauto, other ones all appear to be the wrong application/length.  At $633+shipping for a Dorman piece, I think I'd be checking for a local driveshaft shop to you and see what they could hook you up with.

Richard

10 hours ago, someotherguy said:

Should be 15200239 but it's gonna be discontinued from GM.  Dorman makes one but I dunno if I'd trust it.. but it's the only new one listed on Rockauto, other ones all appear to be the wrong application/length.  At $633+shipping for a Dorman piece, I think I'd be checking for a local driveshaft shop to you and see what they could hook you up with.

Richard

Thanks...I ended up going with the doorman one..thats the only one i could find online..why not trust it?

1 hour ago, jmontero146 said:

Thanks...I ended up going with the doorman one..thats the only one i could find online..why not trust it?

Dorman not known for quality in materials or design across the board, in most cases lesser quality than OEM.  I have no idea if their driveshafts are any good.  If it's all you can find, it'll have to do though, right?  Hope it works out well.  It may be just fine as long as you aren't beating on it.  Your original one may have failed due to corrosion or prior abuse.

Richard

49 minutes ago, someotherguy said:

Dorman not known for quality in materials or design across the board, in most cases lesser quality than OEM.  I have no idea if their driveshafts are any good.  If it's all you can find, it'll have to do though, right?  Hope it works out well.  It may be just fine as long as you aren't beating on it.  Your original one may have failed due to corrosion or prior abuse.

Richard

It failed because i lowerd my truck 3/4..my driveshaft was hitting the crossmember..then this winter my truck bottomed out with all tje snow built up in the bed..went over a bump and it was strong enough to break the driveshaft.

• 2 weeks later...