2003 silverado ss awd transmission questions

So the truck is new to me, seems to be well taken care of. Transmission seems a bit sloppy to me, more less 1-2 shifts. I obviously check fluid smell and color which doesn't look horrible but its not deep red anymore more of a brownish tint.

What I'm asking is can I do a simple pan compacity and filter change without the risk of toasting the transmission.  The truck has 213,000 miles on it. At the time of the filter/pan compacity change id like to go ahead and put a new corvette servo in to stiffen up the 1-2 shifts.  Anyone have any advice for me?

Although you sometimes hear of transmissions failing after a fluid change, I would change the fluid anyways.  At least do it at a time when it would not be inconvenient if the transmission failed.  Or just be pro-active and get it rebuilt.  My 03 transmission only lasted to 70k.  I do have a superchager, which does help with transmission longevity ;D

See im back and forth on it. Its not my primary vehicle so I dont have to have it to drive to work but at the same time I like to keep my toys in good working order lol. It just seems sloppy to me....it may just be me I don't know.  And for 213,000 miles if the trans was never serviced id imagine the fluid would look horrible which it doesn't.  I dont know maybe the servo is a little worn out and it needs a new one with a fresh filter.....

What usually wears are the clutch bands.  Rebuilds are expensive, just had mine done again last year.  If you have it rebuilt before something breaks, it might take fewer replacement parts to rebuild it.  On the other hand, if you can afford to have it break down on you sometime, you could just wait and hope no expensive parts go out at the same time. 

I seem to have a knack for breaking expensive parts.....

InputShaft-IMG_0477.jpg

InputShaft-IMG_0481.jpg

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)

• 5 months later...