Long time away

kamikaze

Hey everyone! It's been YEARS since I've been on the forum. So I guess I'll reintroduce myself lol. 

I've got a 2004 SSS that I bought new. I've lowered it and put on an exhaust but that's all for performance mods. Recently I installed a Retrax tonneau cover and Yakima Overhaul rack system. Hoping to get more active in the forum since I've got the mod bug again.

SSS1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of little stuff.  

Steering gear is a bit hard to turn. Either the pump or the gear box.

The driver's side panel that the has the windows and door lock switches has popped up and needs some surgery.

Window washer pump is not working.

Gear selector index is kinda funny. There are like two spots where is still shows Drive.  

The gear selector indicator is very dim. I need to pull the cluster and re solder some resistors, from what I have read.

Security light randomly flashes on.  Sometimes the whole instrument cluster goes dead and then comes right back.  I hear that could be the BCM.

Rarely, the ABS and Brake lights will put on a light show with lots of beeps, which might be a ABS module failure.  But more likely a bad wire somewhere. 

8 hours ago, dcairns said:

Rarely, the ABS and Brake lights will put on a light show with lots of beeps, which might be a ABS module failure.  But more likely a bad wire somewhere. 

If it happens when you really mash the brakes, check the fluid level and add a little bit if it's low.  Generally I don't often add fluid to a brake system that isn't leaking, as the level goes down normally as the brakes wear.. but both our 06's seem to be hypersensitive with the sensor in the reservoir.  No leaks on either truck but let that fluid get a little bit low, brake aggressively, and DING DING DING DING SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM OMG

Richard

Yeah, if it's doing it on startup, not likely the fluid level.  I'd try cleaning the connectors on the ABS module with some DeOxit spray and hook 'em back up.  That's a pricey module to replace.  I thought we had a bad one on one of our trucks but in the end I'm about 99% sure it was a bad hub bearing.

Richard

On 10/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, dcairns said:

Sometimes the whole instrument cluster goes dead and then comes right back.  I hear that could be the BCM.

Oh yeah, I had the same exact problem! Driving and all of a sudden the cluster goes dark & needles lay down, then they click back on, go all the way to the right & then back Left. After I put a new battery in there, it hasn’t happened again. And food for thought, while you’re in the gauge cluster repairing you might as well go ahead & swap out all the stepper motors so everything is new. You can order the stepper motors & LEDs for like &20-$25 from “GM Gauge Repair” (I believe that’s the name it’s been so long ago.” That’s what I did & I’m very happy with the outcome. Regardless, best of luck with everything. 

• 1 month later...