Anyone put a BBC in this 2005 body?

R.C.

So I'm sure many couldn't immagine why I would ask about putting a big block instead of an high HP  ls motor in.  I have owned bbc muscle trucks and cars for 50 years.  LIke those engines. 1st new car  was a 427 copo camaro, and off I went.  Kinda started my racing in big blocks. 

Thanks 

In a lot of states (like my state, the Communist Republic of California), it is not legal to do fun stuff like that.  As I am sure you realize, you would need to look into a lot more than just bolting a old school carbureted  big block to the transmission.  You would need to upgrade the transmission as well, the stock transmission is pretty weak.  So putting a beefed up TH400 in there would probably mean drive shaft length adjustment. Fortunately, you don't have the AWD stuff to complicate things.  Then there is all the computer stuff.  You will have to somehow get some of the sensors working with the engine and fool the others into thinking everything is normal.  Or just rip it all out and live with the stuff on the dash that no longer works. 

It would be awesome to see a project like that.

Don't know how to reply to both of you but thanks for the info.  I have a 400 turbo and a 700r tranny.  I figured I would have to use different drive shaft and beef rear end to a 373 posi.  Then header nightmare, steering rod nightmare etc.  Prob. pumps etc.  I know that 8.1 liter was put in a 3500 HD. Just wondered if frame would be same.  Everyone thinks I am nuts, but I like to do stuff that others don't.  Even if it doesn't make sense.  I think it will look "different" when I raise the hood!   I was hoping someone was as nuts as me, and could advise me on upcoming disasters. 

Really thanks for responding!

5 hours ago, dcairns said:

In a lot of states (like my state, the Communist Republic of California), it is not legal to do fun stuff like that.  As I am sure you realize, you would need to look into a lot more than just bolting a old school carbureted  big block to the transmission.  You would need to upgrade the transmission as well, the stock transmission is pretty weak.  So putting a beefed up TH400 in there would probably mean drive shaft length adjustment. Fortunately, you don't have the AWD stuff to complicate things.  Then there is all the computer stuff.  You will have to somehow get some of the sensors working with the engine and fool the others into thinking everything is normal.  Or just rip it all out and live with the stuff on the dash that no longer works. 

It would be awesome to see a project like that.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I think you are among the few that doesn't think I'm crazy.   This short bed-step side- body can look great, if you use the right combo of lowering, wheels, roll pan, and front end from an SS truck, ETC.  It's a 2 door black  truck and looks real nice.  I hate that the old school SS 454 trucks were de-tuned to be "sleds".  I have owned 2 and should have jerked motor and fixed problem.  I built a 454 /30 over with 550 hp/600 ft.lb. torque. It's a 9.7 to 1 compression ratio with flat top pistons using 67 corvette heads. I had bullet cams- custom grind a cam exactly for this engine, heads, CR and rear end,  etc. Gotta get stance right.  Put a lot of time and $$$ to get paint perfect. Done it B4, just not with this body style.  I really like the 2002-2005  short bed-stepsides, along with the SS trucks.  At least the newer SS trucks run decently.  I saw they are gonna do another SS truck in 2021.  I've seen pics.

Different is fine.. you'll probably get some haters mad at you for "messing up" an SS, but it's your truck.

One of my pipe dream play toys would be an earlier GMT400 RCSB with a swap.. sometimes I want to do an 8.1/4L80E, other times I imagine parting out a wrecked SRT8 and putting the 6.1/6 speed or even the 5 speed auto into the truck, along with as much other stuff I could transplant like the seats, dash cluster, wheels, brakes, anything I could manage to adapt.  Just don't have the time or the space anymore to get into something so extensive.

Richard

So because I just saw a 2003 short bed, stepside, 2dr.  for sale for 37K I stopped!  I looked at pics. and saw a brand new frame ?!?! new gas tank-tons of welding cross members, alum. drive shaft and on and on.  BIG MONEY STUFF!   ? So I guess I have an $8,000 454-525hp  9.7 to 1 eng. for sale.  Best of best stuff in it.  Built enough cars and trucks to know when to stop.  This is what happens when you take a pause of 20 yrs. in building stuff.  ?

Thanks guys for the info.