2003 SS- Building my dream truck

04palass

Good Job on the SS project Bro, Very nice job on the body work and Paint Man !!

I'm currently working on rust and paint rework on my Black '04 SS...........I live up in Western NY, (Buffalo/ Rochester Area), so it was was in even worse condition than yours, as far as i could tell. I may post all my project pictures in this Forum soon...........from Start to Current.

But, It's almost done now and 'm going crazy...I want to drive it especially now that summer is pretty much here........and our Summer's dont last long, as you know.... living in Minnesota.

Good luck with it.

Jeff S.

Nice work giving that truck the love it deserves...

I had to put a bedside on mine too, but because it had been crashed (bought the truck from CoPart auction) - I got the GM "complete" bedside with the inner panel too, because the taillight housing was crunched just enough that my body shop guy needed it.   He still separated the inner/outer and didn't use most of the inner piece, but that also retained my spray-in liner, dude did an awesome job.

The LED tails are cool, I did the ones that sort of mimic the late model with the "bracket" but later decided they looked a little too ricey for my taste, and went back with TYC copies of the originals, and filled 'em up with really bright projector style LED's.  Also did the 3rd brake light with an OEM lens and LED's in it.  Takes a little experimenting with different brands/models of LED and resistors to make everything play nice on a GMT800 truck but so far, so good on mine.

Richard

On 6/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, someotherguy said:

Nice work giving that truck the love it deserves...

I had to put a bedside on mine too, but because it had been crashed (bought the truck from CoPart auction) - I got the GM "complete" bedside with the inner panel too, because the taillight housing was crunched just enough that my body shop guy needed it.   He still separated the inner/outer and didn't use most of the inner piece, but that also retained my spray-in liner, dude did an awesome job.

The LED tails are cool, I did the ones that sort of mimic the late model with the "bracket" but later decided they looked a little too ricey for my taste, and went back with TYC copies of the originals, and filled 'em up with really bright projector style LED's.  Also did the 3rd brake light with an OEM lens and LED's in it.  Takes a little experimenting with different brands/models of LED and resistors to make everything play nice on a GMT800 truck but so far, so good on mine.

Richard

Thank you! I have seen your thread great job on the build I would love an Intimidator some day! I hope these LED tail lights are fairly plug and play but I'll keep everyone posted lol

Getting closer!!

TAo7ot0.jpg

Pasf8GB.jpg

Painted!!

V92oWiO.jpg

0pWdCap.jpg

Just set on there for now. Still needs cladding and such. I am also doing a spray in bedliner

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:44 AM, IndySilveradoSS said:

Looks great! Mine is the same shape as yours was, love seeing the transformation, gives me motivation for mine..lol

Thank you lol!

On 6/19/2020 at 12:44 AM, Ericss2 said:

Very nice man keep up the good work

Thank you!!

Got everything back on including the cladding, I need to give it a wash but I love it!

Zn1QGtC.jpg

3HhOiYw.jpg

It has come a long way in the 3 months or so I've had it

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 6:05 PM, 04palass said:

Thank you!

Soooo the rust free box I got had a dent on the driver box side which i was aware of obviously, however It was also full of bondo so I elected to put a new GM box side on it. On the plus side this box is absolutely flawless in terms of rust

GVuE0T9.jpg

P25Bd1y.jpg

W3x3Wke.jpg

Is there much difference in the ebay truck bed sides and the GM ones? I know th eGM will be higher quality, but didn't know if I could get away with the Ebay ones

I like the look of the LED tail lights.  They look a bit like the previous generation, sleeker.  My stock tail lights are starting to de-laminate, so I will have to replace them someday.  Those LED tail lights would be a fun choice ;D

Where did you get them?

3 hours ago, dcairns said:

I like the look of the LED tail lights.  They look a bit like the previous generation, sleeker.  My stock tail lights are starting to de-laminate, so I will have to replace them someday.  Those LED tail lights would be a fun choice ;D

Where did you get them?

I agree! They don't stand out too much but are a bit more modern. I got them on Ebay for $90 they were plug and play.

Box is on and all cleaned up. I love it!!!

MEWTvce.jpg

V4yWvda.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 10:21 PM, dcairns said:

All that fresh paint, I think you have one of the best looking SS's out there at the moment ;D

Thank you very much!

On 7/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, 04SSCONick said:

Great Looking SS! I'm about to do a Cam Swap this weekend. After I get the motor built i'll be doing the same as you and getting the outside cleaned up as well.

Thank you! Cam swap would be awesome. My goal some day is to supercharge mine.

I got alot done over the long weekend. 

I started with getting my bedliner in. It is a raptor liner. The product itself is great but the tools they give you to spray it on are junk IMO.

UDpmv2R.jpg

qX5qsBV.jpg

fyHPSXg.jpg

Wc0fpCQ.jpg

Next I purchased another truck to drive through the winter because I sold the other truck I took the box off  and it just so happened to have a MINT interior! So i swapped over most of the good pieces I needed. (front and back seats) Now I need to do something about the headliner.

yJQyw7k.jpg

Before

0sugQAb.jpg

ofiEmVZ.jpg

Both interiors taken out

y6asap9.jpg

All nice now!

piH8LBC.jpg

jlvuvVU.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, 04SSCONick said:

I Ordered the same tail lights, they look awesome. Love that they have the stock look but with LED. I'm not a fan of the headlights and tail lights that are all import styled.

I agree! They almost look like they could be stock.

Minnesota winters were not kind to the rear bumper. But its all fixed now!

FsiBjE2.jpg

4IX5BFO.jpg

X4PwnTK.jpg

OEE7IyE.jpg

U1SSWt5.jpg

• Like 1