4L80E trans

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm guessing no one in here has contacted New Venture Gear and asked them dirrectly because it sounds like you guys are all going to be suppirzed when I tell you that you can buy the part you need from New Venture Gear or pick one up from a junk yard!

(My question to NVG)

I'm curious if this transfer case is made to mate up with the 4l80e trans or

if there is an adapter so it can be made to mate to the 4l80e trans?

Thanks a lot,

Jon

(NVG's answer)

It would need a new input gear.

(my next question)

Is that input gear for mating the 4l80e to the nv149 transfer case something

you guys would sell or would it be the same gear as in say like a 2500hd 4x4

chevy truck with a 4l80e?

(NVG answer)

It would be the same gear as in say

like a 2500hd 4x4 chevy truck with a 4l80e.

This info was provided to me by ([email protected])

Please let me know if this helps you guys I have big plans such as a twin turbo 408 stroker with a 4l80e and I may soon have good connections with NVG.

JON :)

That is very interesting. :banghead:

Kurt (427) told me he got his one off piece from new venture and that it was definitely not an available part.

Someone hurry up and try it -- there's still time for me to switch to an FLP built 80 :crackup:

I spoke with Chuck @ FLP -- he was relucant to comment, because he says he hasn't really looked into it a whole lot. His main focus atm is building an output shaft that is so strong it won't break so that none of us need 80es :)

Well I'm guessing no one in here has contacted New Venture Gear and asked them dirrectly because it sounds like you guys are all going to be suppirzed when I tell you that you can buy the part you need from New Venture Gear or pick one up from a junk yard!

(My question to NVG)

I'm curious if this transfer case is made to mate up with the 4l80e trans or

if there is an adapter so it can be made to mate to the 4l80e trans?

Thanks a lot,

Jon

(NVG's answer)

It would need a new input gear.

(my next question)

Is that input gear for mating the 4l80e to the nv149 transfer case something

you guys would sell or would it be the same gear as in say like a 2500hd 4x4

chevy truck with a 4l80e?

(NVG answer)

This info was provided to me by ([email protected])

Please let me know if this helps you guys I have big plans such as a twin turbo 408 stroker with a 4l80e and I may soon have good connections with NVG.

JON :)

but it is not a gear we need, it is a shaft... are the two transfer cases the same, with different internals???

(NVG answer)

I haven't physically taken the cases apart and compared input gears, but I have looked through the tech manuals for them. I'm just about positive that the 32 spline input isn't going to work from one of the other tcases.

The following pic shows the input shafts from the 149 (our SS case), the 246 (plain autotrac case), and the 263 (auto HD case). The 263 has only 32 spline input shafts while the 246 can have either the 27 or 32 spline shafts. I've colored the shafts BLUE in the picture.

OK - Our 149 case is single speed while the others have a high and low range. The input shaft on them is connected to a planetary assembly, which I have colored PINK in the pictures. This planetary allows the transfer case to stay in 1:1 ratio (hi gear) or switch to 2.72:1 (low gear). Since we dont have the planetary gear, our input shaft physically mates up differently and looks different from the pictures.

Thoughts anyone?

TCASE.jpg

Gotta love BigTex! Those pictures are awesome.

I don't think any of those shafts are compatible with the other cases. It comes full circle to what everyone was telling me a couple of months ago -- No easy fix -- the only option is custom machine work.

These pictures should help Vette Dude alot.

Nice job Richard! :thumbs:

I'd like to know what NVG has to say. These pics were out of a set of GM service documents. They aren't very detailed not do they have any measurements. But even without super details, you can tell the 149 case is different.

I see a couple of different options here:

1. Buy a hardened output shaft for a 4WD 4L80E, then have a machine shop machine it down to fit the current input shaft of the NVG 149. Maybe have the final product heat treated or cryo treated to strengthin it up. I think the output shaft would be easier to get, and still strong afterwards.

2. Buy a input shaft for the NVG 149 and have it opened up to accept the 32 spline shaft of the existing 4L80E. I think this would be more difficult and probably drop the strength of the input shaft afterwards.

3. Shorten the 4L80E output shaft by several inches. Have a machine shop build an intermediate shaft that accepts the 32 spline output of the 80E and changes it to a 27 spline output.

If you do talk to NVG, ask them the specs on their NV 124 and NV 125 transfer cases. They are listed as AWD cases but are rated to handle over 1000 more torque than our 149 case. I can't find any more info on them.

Richard

Archived