4L80E trans

Ken e-mailed me and he is still calling it an input gear he gave me part #32476 and here are 2 places which are NVG aftermarket distributors.

All Transmission 1-800-237-8601

Midwest transmission 1-888-824-2012

I'm going to try and call tomarrow to see what they have to say and get a price.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spoke with Chuck @ FLP -- he was relucant to comment, because he says he hasn't really looked into it a whole lot.  His main focus atm is building an output shaft that is so strong it won't break so that none of us need 80es :)

The input shaft and drum is what needs work. If he could make both of those billet pieces, then I'd believe in FLP. At least over what I have done myself.

I spoke with Chuck @ FLP -- he was relucant to comment, because he says he hasn't really looked into it a whole lot.  His main focus atm is building an output shaft that is so strong it won't break so that none of us need 80es :)

The input shaft and drum is what needs work. If he could make both of those billet pieces, then I'd believe in FLP. At least over what I have done myself.

According to Chuck, most people have been breaking the output shaft lately.

somewhat off topic but related:

whay front diff comes on the SS's?

i thionk iit is an eaton locker, but i am not sure... :dunno:

I found this by searching for Z-71s, but i dont think we can have a locker, as we have a viscous coupler, and i believe that one needs a CCCD to allow for limited slip, or locking front differentials...

Well it's starting to look more and more like NVG doesn't know what they are talking about I contacted the 2 places I was given #'s to and neither of them had the part or were able to get it but alltransmission contacted NVG and from what it sounds like is it used to be a part they made at one time but no longer make so there must be some out there!

I'm going to keep trying NVG

He did not do anything internally to them. His truck came with an electronic shifter. The 4L80 Tcase was a manual shifter. When he made the swap, his truck kept getting service 4WD lights on the dash because he had the electronic shift wires disconnected. He took the electronic motor/encoder off the old auto tcase and plugged it in the harness. The motor isn't hooked up to anything, he just secured it up under his truck. But the PCM doesn't get any errors now since its harness is hooked up.

I did lots of looking on the net for compatible transfer cases to our units. I came up with none.

Maybe some of the SyTy guys have something?

Being a SYTY guy myself, I can tell you I have been lurking here hoping that someone would address this very issue. Currently I am NOT happy with the 80e to AWD case option that people are using on our trucks.

The case in a SyTy is a BorgWarner unit, specifically BW4472. For some odd reason it seems to be the only thing that BW makes thats not a POS. We have virtually ZERO troubles with them.

I was hoping someone was going to figuire out the way to get the 80e to a NVG AWD Transfer case to work..

There are peeps over there doing same thing (cut down 80e output shaft, and upgraded 700r4/60e/65e shaft)..

I know 2-3 peeps that have blown the output shaft as well on the stock transmission (running 10's).. IMO, I cant see why anyone would take an 80e shaft and turn it down and respline for the input drum, I guess ease of the idea is the most attractable. But if its the same diameter as the stock shaft at one point I can guess you will know where it will break.....

IMO the stock 80e shaft and some sort of input drum modifications to the case.. I guess the HI-PO AWD market is coming along, and someday someone will the "CORRECT" parts to make it all work without sacrificing size and strenght....

what needs to happen, and what i am tryiong to do is create a brand new input shaft for the NVG case. the only thing is that i do not know where to find the NVG case. They only come on the SS, escalade, and denali from what i have understood. If i coul get a broken case, and the output shaft from a 4l80E i can build a new input shaft for the NVG case.

You and me both vette dude I'm looking out as well for the same thing I have many places who build top quality gear boxes who can make me anything I need just need to find the part to start with for the dimentions! :dunno: probably gonna get charged and arm and a leg for that thing out of a wrecked vehicle just because of what it came out of!

Archived