4L80E trans

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone changed to a 80 trans yet?

i don get it, if it bolts into the 3/4 ton, then all you are going to need to do is change the rear drive shaft, and get a 3/4 ton front drive shaft, well, and change the crossmember.... :dunno:

the 4L80 tail shaft is 31 spline and the 4L65 is a 28 spline. So the problem isn't the drive shafts its the tranny to transfercase connection. So then the only way it could be done is if you use a 3/4 ton transfer case then lock it into 4 wheel drive manually. Which really isn't so bad. :dunno:

Has anyone changed to a 80 trans yet?

i don get it, if it bolts into the 3/4 ton, then all you are going to need to do is change the rear drive shaft, and get a 3/4 ton front drive shaft, well, and change the crossmember.... :dunno:

the 4L80 tail shaft is 31 spline and the 4L65 is a 28 spline. So the problem isn't the drive shafts its the tranny to transfercase connection. So then the only way it could be done is if you use a 3/4 ton transfer case then lock it into 4 wheel drive manually. Which really isn't so bad. :dunno:

yes, this is what i am talking about...

After reading the post on ls1tech I think all you have to do is change the output shaft of the 80, from a 31 to a 28 spline, and our T-case will bolt up to it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, I think it's better to have the 31-spline for strength. So, it would be better to change out our t-case.

According to everyone I talked to, included a couple of GM guys, the owner of advanced adaptors, Kurt @ W2W, Chuck @ FLP, there is no 31 tooth gear that will fit the AWD case (except for the single, one-off piece Kurt is hoarding :P) You could always have a one off piece machined, but otherwise, you're looking at swaping in an AutoTrac or a Manual tcase and waving bye bye to the AWD. That's all well and good, but you'd better be a DIY tuner and be prepared to do a lot of work on that tune getting it to actually run. Jim had major trouble getting it to run in his truck, converting from 4WD to manual 4WD...

I would not drive a manual 4WD locked in 4WD on the street. You'd be burning through cash replacing front gears and shafts...

If you're willing to do all that, might as well put in a manual tranny too :)

Archived