Current Market Values When Shopping For an SS

Daffypuck

Ive been shopping for an SS for about 2 years now. One thing Ive noticed is the gap between what folks/dealers are asking for one versus what people are actually paying for them. Also, Im curious as to the grading standard of a vehicle this old and what "perfect", "very clean", "near perfect" and "best truck around" mean to each person. 

The most recent truck I looked at was an '03 with 132k and 2 owners, although the 2nd owner only had it right at 2 yrs and 14k. It was a very clean truck, very nice underneath and an all around good truck. BUT, the steering wheel had been rewrapped, the drivers seat recovered, yet the drivers armrest had a huge wear point all cracked and degradated. Cosmetically, the exterior looked great from 15 feet, but upon closer inspection, it had a couple of minor clear issues (to be expected, not that big of a deal), had tons of scratches behind door handle, scratches all over the tailgate from probably someone leaning over to grab stuff, and the worst was the bed top edge was heavily worn from the fiberglass cover resting on it and being opened and closed repetitively even to the point of a small spot all the way to the bare metal. Call me too anal, but this was a nice truck for the age and mileage, but the price didnt reflect the product IMO. The dealer was asking 16k for it. I offered 12k, they didnt take it. As I was leaving, they came off the price $1100 to $14,900, which I thought was still too much with that mileage. What have yall paid for your SS's and how many miles and condition of when you bought? 

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4389.PNG

Edited by Daffypuck (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 2003 w/ 82.5K mi for $15K in MD 2 months ago.

1 owner. Older gentleman. Very well maintained. Very very clean. All bone stock.

Recently completed some cosmetic maintenance and improvements.

Now my SS goes to my long time mechanic's shop tomorrow for over $3K in bolt on performance upgrades.

Take your time. Be thorough. If the deal doesn't feel right, then walk away. Better to be patient and persistent than live with regret.

• 2 weeks later...