Ignition Won't Go To The Off Position

Stickman03SS

Hey guys and gals.  I had my SS stolen a couple weeks ago.  They did find it, but insurance totaled the truck and I bought it back.  Now trying to fix the damaged areas myself.  The biggest headaches are in the steering column area and gear selector cable.  I was able to replace and adjust the cable and that seems okay.  One of the remaining issues is the ignition lock cylinder and key.  The thieves appear to have put in another lock cylinder, but they must have bought the wrong cylinder or damaged something else.  When we found the vehicle, it had a key stuck in the ignition, but you could not turn it to the off position and remove the key.  I found the battery negative cable disconnected and reconnected it.  I could start the truck and turn the engine off, but it would not go to the fully off position, leaving the dash lights on.  I bought a new lock cylinder, MPN LC63200 from Advance Auto.  The ignition lock cylinder was easily replaced, but no help.  It still will not go to the fully off position.   I see talk of 2 lock cylinders.....one with accessory and one without.  I don't recall my key going backwards (counterclockwise) to an accessory position.  I remember it going clockwise one notch for the accessories to run without starting the engine.  My truck manual that came with the truck from GM says it should be as I remember, with 4 positions....off, accessory, on, and start.  Not sure if I am just plain stupid and not reading things right or if there is something else amiss.  I doubt anyone has dealt with this, but I thought I would ask.  Has anyone replaced their ignition lock cylinder and have the part number/store info for the part?  Or any other ideas as to what could be keeping it from going into the off position?  I hope this makes sense.  Please ask questions, if I need to better explain the predicament.  I might even take some pictures of the damaged area tomorrow.  Thanks in advance for any help!!  Considering selling it as is.

Jim - 918-406-6412  

Replaced the 3 position lock cylinder with a 4 position one and still have the issue.  Key turns the truck off but is in accessory position and won't turn any further.  Do our trucks have a steering wheel interlock system that locks the wheel when in park and the key is off?  I honestly can't remember.  I am at a loss and am probably going to have to take it in. 

Column doesn't lock the wheel like older generation trucks (gmt400) but there should be an interlock that prevents shifting out of park unless key is on; I believe that's electronic though and integrated with the brake switch circuit.

Have you really inspected the column housing closely with a bright light for any physical damage particularly around the lock bore?  I thought typical theft damage was drilling out the tumbler lock pin from underneath but that's vague recollection from other posts, haven't fixed one of these columns myself yet - hope I don't ever need to!

Richard

Richard, thanks for the input.  I did notice that the bore of the housing is really scored in a chaotic pattern.  I watched videos and scoured forums for ideas and then got either brave enough or stupid enough to use a large screw driver to force it back to off.  I figured at that point I was going to try the housing next, so I used a large screw driver to force it into off with the cylinder out.  After some prayer and I some brute force, I freed it up.  It still has a rough feeling so I might still have to replace the housing, but at least I drive it.  I might be able to clean up the bore with some sandpaper, but we will see how it goes.  It might clearance things, kinda like a Nascar cup car with a Darlington stripe and damage around the tire opening.?  Thanks again for your input.  You were spot on.

Jim