Cluster stopped working...

cleansss20

Truck has been sitting awhile and drained the battery. Bought a new battery and drove it around. When I get in it this morning the cluster was lit up but none of the gauges were working. I've read where the clusters are notorious for bad stepper motors and such, but what could cause all of them to stop at the same time?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, silverado777 said:

This a common issue. Not as common as the stepper motors though. Let me know if you want to get it fixed. 

http://www.GMGaugeGuy.com

Do you rebuild the digital climate controls?  My dials have a mind of their own. My non professional diagnostic would say they just need the connections cleaned but I’m not sure I want to take anything like this apart.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Tim713 said:

Do you rebuild the digital climate controls?  My dials have a mind of their own. My non professional diagnostic would say they just need the connections cleaned but I’m not sure I want to take anything like this apart.

Unfortunately, I do not. Are you saying that the temps change automatically/randomly?

Edited by silverado777 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, silverado777 said:

Unfortunately, I do not. Are you saying that the temps change automatically/randomly?

When I try to adjust the temp, it doesn’t matter if I am adjusting up or down it will bounce around and get confused which way I am trying to go. A steady smooth roll to the right to heat it up will act like I am rolling it left and right randomly. 

On 11/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, cleansss20 said:

Truck has been sitting awhile and drained the battery. Bought a new battery and drove it around. When I get in it this morning the cluster was lit up but none of the gauges were working. I've read where the clusters are notorious for bad stepper motors and such, but what could cause all of them to stop at the same time?

Sorry did not mean to hijack your post! I also had a recent issue like this when my battery was very low and the backlights still worked but most of the gauges did not read at all. Charged it up and let the truck hibernate on a trickle charger now.  I have had no issues since

• 3 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 5:34 PM, Tim713 said:

When I try to adjust the temp, it doesn’t matter if I am adjusting up or down it will bounce around and get confused which way I am trying to go. A steady smooth roll to the right to heat it up will act like I am rolling it left and right randomly. 

Sorry did not mean to hijack your post! I also had a recent issue like this when my battery was very low and the backlights still worked but most of the gauges did not read at all. Charged it up and let the truck hibernate on a trickle charger now.  I have had no issues since

Well sounds like you're correct. I guess the boost was enough to start the truck but not run any of the gauges. After charging the battery to a full charge everything seems to be working...