No SS for a week :(

Just dropped my SS off to get the supercharger installed. I am already going through withdrawls :cry:

Guess I better go clean up the ol S-10 so I can drive it to work next week and then get it ready to sell it. :(

Just dropped my SS off to get the supercharger installed.  I am already going through withdrawls :cry:  

Guess I better go clean up the ol S-10 so I can drive it to work next week and then get it ready to sell it. :(

Congrats, looks like you will be on the road a week or so before I will. I wont have pistons until Wednesday. Good luck... :thumbs:

A week is a long time. I'd think it would take no more than a day. I installed my whipple overnight on my Z71. Hope you made notes of your odometer readings before you dropped it off. That shop might be tempted to give it an extended "break in" period, if you know what I mean.

I'd call them back and tell them to call you when they start the install because you want to drop in and watch some, even if you cant. That might keep them honest.

Good luck. I cant wait to hear the results.

Actually, it takes them about 2-3 days to do the install. I just dropped it of on a Saturday because it is difficult to get out there on a weekday due to traffic (and my wife hates driving, especially in traffic). For the same reason, I may not be able to pick it up till Friday, although I will be trying to figure a way to pic it up asap :P. And yes, I did note the odometer.

MN C5- I thought you were going to beat me on this one :) Are you changing over to forged internals and lower compression ratio? I would love to hear how that might work out. Might be something I would do in the future (few years in the future, that is). I am more concerned about the transmission holding up in the short run.

I am more concerned about the transmission holding up in the short run.

Have you received any info. on how the tranny will hold up with the magna installed? Now that would be a bummer for another week on tranny rebuild :shakehead: Lets hope that doesn't happen. :thumbs:

Actually, it takes them about 2-3 days to do the install.  I just dropped it of on a Saturday because it is difficult to get out there on a weekday due to traffic (and my wife hates driving, especially in traffic).  For the same reason, I may not be able to pick it up till Friday, although I will be trying to figure a way to pic it up asap :P.  And yes, I did note the odometer.

MN C5- I thought you were going to beat me on this one :)  Are you changing over to forged internals and lower compression ratio?  I would love to hear how that might work out.  Might be something I would do in the future (few years in the future, that is).  I am more concerned about the transmission holding up in the short run.

I'm adding a few cubic inches to the package. I'd also suggest you find someone with LS1 edit after yours is tuned correctly to boost the shift firmness and line pressure and a new modulator would help it last longer... :smash: I can't wait to see your comments after driving it with the blower.. congrats :cheers:

I'm adding a few cubic inches to the package. I'd also suggest you find someone with LS1 edit after yours is tuned correctly to boost the shift firmness and line pressure and a new modulator would help it last longer... :smash: I can't wait to see your comments after driving it with the blower.. congrats :cheers:

Ran across you other post about the 427 project after I wrote that :rolleyes: Sounds like you are going all out on that project :D After I get the supercharger installed, I better enjoy my claim to fasted SS while I can. I will be toast when you are done :D .

Yeah, I was thinking firming up the shifting would be the minimum. Do you have any part numbers or recommendations on the replacement line modulator? I think I saw something about a corvette modulator being the hot ticket.

Im almost positive that our trannies have the vette servo, if thats what you are talking about. I would look into a shift kit if you want something more on the mechanical side. As far as the electronics, the best way to go would be to get the LS1 edit, that way you can firm up the shifts, as well as deleting torque management. The torque management is what will really make a difference. Thats what i plan to do, so that way i dont waste any money on programmers that i will no longer need when i eventually do get the edit.

Does anyone know if the Edit is out for the 2003 trucks yet??? That may be the next thing that i do if it is

The 4L65 doesn't have the vette servo. I know because I installed a vette servo in a 4L65 last month. The parts going in were different than the parts coming out.

My 4L65 with just the vette servo and LS1 edit tuning (increased line pressure and shift speed), can thump you just like a built tranny. I've had no problems with the 4L56 launching in 4HI mode with a 3000 stall and a 125 shot of nitrous out of the hole. I easily cut 1.7 60 foot times and the tranny hasn't even hinted at being upset be my actions. I think the 4L65 is better than many people give it credit for.

It should last for a while as long as you arent torturing it ever time you take off from a stop. Hitting the throttle from a roll isn't near as hard on it.

The 4L65 doesn't have the vette servo.  I know because I installed a vette servo in a 4L65 last month.  The parts going in were different than the parts coming out.

My 4L65 with just the vette servo and LS1 edit tuning (increased line pressure and shift speed), can thump you just like a built tranny.  I've had no problems with the 4L56 launching in 4HI mode with a 3000 stall and a 125 shot of nitrous out of the hole.  I easily cut 1.7 60 foot times and the tranny hasn't even hinted at being upset be my actions.  I think the 4L65 is better than many people give it credit for.

It should last for a while as long as you arent torturing it ever time you take off from a stop.  Hitting the throttle from a roll isn't near as hard on it.

That's pretty good news BigTex :) I still think I'm going with Rossler though..

As far as LS1 Edit goes, I can program any 2003 SS.. :cool: On a totally stock truck it helps some, but I don't know if I'd pay someone for the gains I've been able to acheive so far. To bad its such a hassle to dyno the thing... There is a limit to how lean and how much timing you add, ect.. With other mods, intake, headers, NO2, cam ect.. that would change.

as i recall, there isn't a vehicle gm makes with the 4L65E which has a 4HI mode. i can check again, but last time i looked i believe the servo parts were the same although why anyone would use the corvette/camaro style servo anymore is beyond me. the larger billet servo is the way to go. turning up the line pressure with the computer sure isn't the fix for not having a shift kit either since it increases pressure and not fluid volume. MN C5 i will say is making the good choice with rossler, i'd recomend them to anyone.

one brand i've had great luck with is superior transmission. i've installed many of their parts in my own and other vehicles and had no complaints for the price, instructions, and results of install yourself parts. you can find a place probably near you with their locator for parts. trans parts

Archived