Engine help...

bumgardner77

So I finally had the chance to buy an ss. its a 2004 with a lot of tlc needed. my biggest concern is that when I come to a stop there is no oil pressure but when I start driving the oil pressure comes up to about 20 psi and stays there while driving. I replaced oil sending unit sensor and oil pump but no change. I am at the point of rebuilding with all new cam and rod bearings. Does anyone have any other opinions what might be the issue?  If I rebuild does anyone recommend a good camshaft that does not need to be tuned?

First of all, There is no such thing as a good camshaft without a tune LOL... As far as oil pressure, are you consuming a lot of oil? Does the check engine light come on or stop engine low oil pressure message appear? If so you may have a rebuild on your hand...  Otherwise check/replace the stepper motor for that gauge especially if you already replaced the pump and have no other messages or codes..

I've done 2 oil changes since I got it. 1 when I bought it and 2nd one when I replaced oil pump. I've been told before that it could be the oring not right size and causing oil pump to suck up air? Is that possible? I bought the OEM pump and oring from a dealership

Either put a mechanical gauge on it, or find a friend with a known good cluster to pop in. Rule out gauge error. If its really zero psi, the motor would probably rattle. I've seen the bad o-ring cause pump cavatation, but that's usually on the 07-09 trucks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/12/2019 at 1:56 PM, 2003_SuperSport said:

If its not consuming oil then maybe you got a bad pump.  Also change the oil filter just in case. You can also do a compression on all the cylinders.. Find someone to check your codes as well. 

I was wondering if you know any tuners I see ur from Minnesota and I put a big chopmonster cam and long tube headers with an upgraded tranny and need a tune any advice ?

• 3 months later...

Because I'm curious. What does using oil have to do with a lack of oil pressure? Bearing clearance or oil pump issues aren't related to oil pressure. This has me curious... As for the tuning issue there are probably 15-20 tuners who know what they are doing and roughly 10,000 or so tuners out there. Choose wisely.