catalytic converter options

marsch

Im looking to buy SSS.  The one I am looking at, the guy has already cam and bolt ons.  He is running speed eng. shorty headers, but he had the factory cats cut out and a pipe welded in place.  I was going to see what were my options to have cats back?  I have to go through emissions where they do visual inspection, so I will need to have something back in the cats place.  Is it just as simple as buying some universal high flow cats, and having an exhaust shop weld them in?  What other options are there?

Thanks in advance!

-Erik

• 8 months later...

I am also a new SSS owner with the same question, what have others done. Mine still has stock manifolds, but looking at stock style replacements in the $600.00 + range has me looking for alternatives. If anyone who also has to test could let us know what they have done I would be appreciative of the help. The 5.3 trucks use a Y- pipe that ends in a single out and I am considering having an exhaust shop cut the end off and convert it to fit our two in style muffler. With the age of these trucks this site seems to be dwindling, but I hope there is still some experienced owners out there who can help.        

Edited by kestell123 (see edit history)

Seems like California, New York and Maine require CARB compliant catalytic converters and you need to be very sure you get the right one in those states.  Everywhere else, it seems that you just need one made for the vehicle / engine combo you have. I would suggest looking for any info from your state's website on emissions requirements. I suspect Wisconsin just follows federal requirements, so it is a lot easier for you.  Be grateful you don't live here in California ?

Some good info here:

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/tech-tips/state-catalytic-converter-guide.html