Need help on Trans swap/What i need

Hey all, I'm new to this forum page and relatively new to the SS life. About a month or so ago when the polar vortex hit Minnesota, my truck started to flair going from 2nd to 3rd so I checked my trans oil level and it was basically gone . My buddy is a GM mechanic so he looked at my trans pan while doing a trans flush and showed me fine shavings of brass (and other shavings). He had his co-worker look at it too and they both told me that my torque converter was going out and quoted me 3-4 months till more things start to happen. So my question is, is it worth it to build my stock 4l60e or do a swap over to a 4l80 or possibly a 6l80?? and if a swap would be worth it, and what would i need?  I looked at possibly swapping to a T56 but it seems like too big of a pain in the ass to do it and maintain it for a DD. I do have a friend that has a T56 out of his 05 GTO.  I am still currently driving it as a DD but just taking it easy.

If you're stock or relatively stock, rebuild the 4L65E. You only want to go to a 4L80E if you are pushing big power. The first gear ratio is pretty bad in the 4L80e and will really bog your truck down if you don't have the power to get it moving.