Who has the Z06 brake conversion installed and using it?.z zzz

Proatv13

So a lot of you purchased The brackets to run the Z06 front 6 piston brake calipers and 4 piston rear brake calipers but I’m not seeing much of anything about them being installed! For those of you that did install them I would like to start up a thread here that discusses just that. If you have any tips or pointers or did anything different that worked out for You let's share that info with each other.   Also stuff like what pads and how they work, same thing with the rotors.

Websites,? part numbers, prices. Performance review. I know I’m  No not the only one out here curious 

Z06, big brakes, 6 piston caliper, stop, 

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Bgreenard said:

IMG_20171119_160200.jpg.0189b61bf3c2194b9505b450197eaae9.jpgIMG_20171117_174912.jpg.cda0a2bf3ed6910d9ce4b5e7a18444d3.jpg

Looking good! You went a step further and bought Baer Caliper I see. How much did those run you?  Do you know how thick your rear rotors are? I measured my new 14 inch rotors with the micrometer and they're only measuring .81. The stock ones on the truck are over an inch for sure. Idk the new ones are so thin. I'm starting to think they sent me the wrong ones.

These are GM OEM C6Z06 calipers which are manufactured by PBR which is Baer.  I had the Baer Logo added when I had the calipers powder coated.

Baer Rotor 6910962 Front Driver Side
Baer Rotor 6920962 Front Passenger Side

Rotor Outside Diameter (in):15.00 in.
Rotor Thickness (in):1.100 in.

Baer Rotor 6910526 Rear Driver Side
Baer Rotor 6920526 Rear Passenger Side

Rotor Outside Diameter (in):14.00 in.
Rotor Thickness (in):1.025 in

IMG_20171126_161229.jpg

IMG_20171126_161258.jpg

Edited by Bgreenard (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Put them on mine and pulled the. Right back off and sold them. Stocks worked just was good. After talking to a caliper manufacture they explained it to me that this is a old school way to get a bbk before all the companies were making them for trucks. Also that they are made to stop a 2500lbs vetted and not a 3500lbs truck. Yes they are 6 piston but not big pistons. I have a brembo bbk now and difference in piston size is crazy! It’s ok out of 50 I bet maybe 5 people actually did the conversion. I don’t think people look at the cost of the parts beforculling the trigger on the idea. I only did it because I bought all the Calipers On offer up for 200. If you search around you can find a Powerstop bbk for 150 or under. I have seen them for1200 on clearance. I’m not knocking dudes “ brackets” they are well built and hav kick ass hardwear. Would love to hear some other non biased opinions. That’s the other shitty part is someone will tell you they are great and the best thing in the world ,  just because they spent so much on them  but really they don’t even like them lol

• 5 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 4:46 PM, Proatv13 said:

Put them on mine and pulled the. Right back off and sold them. Stocks worked just was good. After talking to a caliper manufacture they explained it to me that this is a old school way to get a bbk before all the companies were making them for trucks. Also that they are made to stop a 2500lbs vetted and not a 3500lbs truck. Yes they are 6 piston but not big pistons. I have a brembo bbk now and difference in piston size is crazy! It’s ok out of 50 I bet maybe 5 people actually did the conversion. I don’t think people look at the cost of the parts beforculling the trigger on the idea. I only did it because I bought all the Calipers On offer up for 200. If you search around you can find a Powerstop bbk for 150 or under. I have seen them for1200 on clearance. I’m not knocking dudes “ brackets” they are well built and hav kick ass hardwear. Would love to hear some other non biased opinions. That’s the other shitty part is someone will tell you they are great and the best thing in the world ,  just because they spent so much on them  but really they don’t even like them lol

where did you get your brembo kit for your truck?

Doubt it's the same setup he's talking about but GM Performance has a Brembo 16" front (front only!) kit that is marketed for the current K2XX trucks, but *should* fit our GMT800 series trucks as well as GMT900's.  It's not cheap at around $2300 or so but with 16" rotors and 6 piston calipers, and being designed FOR trucks by an OEM supplier, they should stop like crazy.  I've been wanting to do them to my '06 but the cost has kept me away for now.  I would also guess that a 20" wheel may be a limiting factor; might require 22's, not sure - I do recall seeing something in the application notes about the wheel type but they mention RPO codes for the current trucks.

By the way, props to Ryan for speaking honestly about the Z06 brake swap.  A lot of people won't admit when they've laid out the money and effort for something that just doesn't make much of an improvement.  I was a little concerned when I did the Hellcat Brembo 6 piston/15.4" front swap on my 300C SRT8, which replaces the Brembo 4 piston/14.1" front setup.  Some claim "it's no different on the street, just good for the track" but I will tell you the car stops REALLY well for 4K+ lbs.  The 4 piston setup stopped pretty damn good already but I can tell an improvement.  Was it worth the $$$?  Tough call, but I'm happy with it! 

Pic attached for reference - that's a 15.4" rotor inside a 20" wheel; which is my concern about the GM kit with the 16" rotor - MAY NOT fit in a 20" but that's a guess on my part.

srt8_40s.jpg

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve remained quite about this issues for a while until I could get more info. While I’ve sold many brackets and had a ton of positive feedback, it bothers me someone wasn’t happy and got poor results. Well, it’s taken a while to get to the bottom of it but I believe I know the reason why Proatv13 had the issue he had. He explained how he bled his brakes and that he “didn’t know what a Tech 2 scan tool is”. This is a huge red flag. With modern day vehicles, if air gets trapped in the ABS pump, you can have the best brakes in the world but they will be mushy and soft if air is trapped in the lines.  I’ve watched seasoned car guys chase their tails trying to fix the same exact problem not realizing their mistake. This is exactly why I specifically mentioned it in the how to I wrote. With a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool, the ABS pump can be cycled while bleeding the system. Skipping this crucial step can trap air bubbles in your system.

To my knowledge nobody else has had this issue but if you have experienced anything similar to Proatv13 have your system bled with a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool. 

• Like 1