Temporary Small Spare Tire

Popfizz7

2003 Silverado SS AWD

I currently have a roll pan on the back of my truck (no bumper).  This does not allow the full size spare tire to be mounted in the OEM location under the bed.   The full-size spare tire has been just sitting in the bed of the truck for several years and I would like to take it out permanently.   I "think" that I can potentially get small spare tire top fit in the OEM location underneath the bed.  Is it possible to TEMPORARILY run a small spare tire in an emergency situation without completely destroying the drive train?  I always carry a can of fix-a-flat in my vehicles, but it wont always work in some situations.  So I need to keep a spare available somehow.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, kind of.

The current tires I am running are about 31" tall.  

The area under the bed of my truck (near where the stock location of the spare would be) only allows for a 28" tall tire.  This is due to the fact that the OEM bumper has been removed and replaced with a custom roll pan.

The stock sized spare tire has been sitting in the bed of the truck for quite some time and I would like to put it back under the bed of the truck.   Since the stock spare tire size will no longer fit, a smaller tire of about 28" tall will need to be used.

So if an emergency comes up and I get a flat tire, can the 28" spare be used temporarily (three of the tires would be 31" tall, and the spare would be 28" tall) without causing any damage to the AWD system?