SSS Is Not A Truck

FASTDIESEL

Posted in another forum. Need you guys input!

Just got back from a 750 mile trip with 1,700# in the back of the SSS. THIS TRUCK IS A WIMP! angry.png

Put a load in the bed (evenly distributed, front/rear) and the rear suspension was on the jounce bumpers. Every bump smashed the bumpers. After about 100 miles, there was no "thump" on bumps, but a "bang" (no more rubber left, metal-to-metal). Braking was downright dangerous.

While replacing the jounce bumpers today, and noticed a shock leaking (blew it out!). Rear shocks have overload springs built on them. Is this stock on the SSS with the Z82 heavy duty towing package?

Any shock recommendations?

I'm afraid my "trophy" truck (sits in the garage weeks at a time) will have to have a new owner, if it can't earn it's keep, hauling a load every once in a while. Towing the open trailer and race car (6,000#), put it on the jounce bumpers on every bump, with only 500# tongue weight. My son's 1/2 ton Suburban tows WAY better. I was hoping (based on factory published specs) this truck would do menial labor, but it appears I have a "snowflake"!

Be on the look-out for a for sale ad coming in the near future. Someone's going to get a primo SSS..

My friend added helper airbags and towed a good size salt water boat without any problem with his SS Silverado mine feels heavy with just 2 dirtbikes in the bed hauled a pallet of wood pellets once wont do that again bottomed out for the whole 2 1/2miles.

​

My friend added helper airbags and towed a good size salt water boat without any problem with his SS Silverado mine feels heavy with just 2 dirtbikes in the bed hauled a pallet of wood pellets once wont do that again bottomed out for the whole 2 1/2miles.

That's exactly what I experienced.....

Its got the power not so much the transmission itll hold up for some time but its a 1500 and not so much the frame to a point itll hold up but its a 1500 so it has its limits and the suspension is mainly setup to drive as a daily without anything in it being its a Sport Truck I tow 2 Snowmobiles up north for a 5 hour ride and that is perfect Ive towed a 1971 Chevy 3/4ton pickup on a car trailer once and it was definitely a little over the trucks capabilities I wouldnt do it all the time but 1 day trip to get something sure if I was gonna do it weekly Id definitely look into something in the 2500 3500 area.

maybe it being 13 years old has something to do with it also? idk but I wouldnt buy a sports truck to tow with. just me. thats what they make the 2500 - 3500 HD trucks for.

I had a Dodge Diesel, and thought I didn't need it. Only making "occasional" hauling trips...surely a muscular beast like the SSS would be up to the task.....NOT!

I am sure this is an extreme troll post but... you got me. I guess the original poster does now know the difference between 1/2 ton 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks. So if a SS is a 1/2 ton truck it should be capabile of putting 1000 lbs in the bed. Not 1700 lbs. That is like saying i can't fit 7 people in a smart car... well it was not made for that get an SUV. Well done OP on the troll post of the day! Cheers!

Bobby

I recently decided i would take my Camaro to pick up a couch. Since its a 2 door car with rear seats and a trunk and it was meant to do daily tasks I figured it would work. I was sadly mistaken and realized i needed to bring my Yukon. Wimpy car! Useless! :jester::crackup:

Food for the trolls..... :-)

If you look at the curb weight of the SS truck and the advertised GVW, the half ton truck will (should) haul a lot more than 1/2 ton (1,000#). I load the 1/2 ton trucks at work every day to maximum GVW (plus), and they handle a 2,000# payload with relative ease, that doesn't make them a one ton truck. Right now, my 2500HD work truck (3/4 ton, 1,500#) has a 3,000# engine in the back with 1.5" between the axle and the bump stop. That doesn't mean it's ton-and-a-half truck. It does mean it will haul the advertised payload, plus a lot to spare.

Chevrolet flat out lied to the public, as they were trying to make their SS truck look more appealing than the competition (Ram SRT10 and the Ford Lightning), when it comes to "work". While Dodge and Ford accurately lowered their GVW rating on their "sport" trucks, Chevy didn't. The factory lowered suspension, will not haul a load, like their regular (non lowered) suspension.

I'm not a nubie, I do trucks for a living. I assume full responsibility for not doing my homework, and actually testing a SSS before buying it, to haul an occasional "light" load. Buyers remorse, I should have never sold the Dodge! If I just wanted a "pretty", I would just cruised around Sundays in my 1965 Malibu SS.

Edited by FASTDIESEL (see edit history)

I recently decided i would take my Camaro to pick up a couch. Since its a 2 door car with rear seats and a trunk and it was meant to do daily tasks I figured it would work. I was sadly mistaken and realized i needed to bring my Yukon. Wimpy car! Useless! :jester::crackup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Lovin it.

Only thing I changed is I have the 22" SSS replica wheels and Bilstein shocks. I did a trip from NC to WY with right about 1300# in the bed. Averaged about 11mpg and pulled straight and was not scary in the least. My wife, (actually her truck) has towed a trailer with all kinds of tools and crafts in it with no issues. It is not nearly as good as my 04 Suburban was at handling the weight, but it can do it properly when loaded correctly and properly maintained.

Now that being said, Chevy should have definitely decreased its tow rating on these trucks. It is just science that if you take a weight supporting leaf out of a suspension setup, it will effectively lower the weight carrying capacity of that axle if no other supporting mods were done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk