How to get all air out of your cooling system

XGMTech

I installed a 160* thermostat in my truck a few weeks ago, and liked the new readings I was getting on my temp gauge - about 180. Well, that turned out to be most of the time. After a while, the temp gauge would start going up... then back down... never higher than where it was when the stock thermostat was in, but that still bugged the heck out of me. I installed it EXACTLY as the instructions said, even did a search on here beforehand and read about how others handled theirs. Anyway, I knew right away that there was a air pocket in the system. I repeated the so-called "purge" procedure in the instructions quite a few times with no luck. So after a few days (hoping the air bubble would work it's way out, which it didn't), I called my buddy who still works for the same Chevy dealer I used to work at. I asked him how they were handling this problem, and he said they have a new tool that will draw a vacuum on the cooling system, and then use that same vacuum to fill it with coolant. End result: NO AIR at all in the system! My friend says he wishes he had this tool years ago, it really works well for him. He said he got his from the Snap-On guy and paid over $100 for it, so I went online to look for it cheaper. I found it at this site: Tooltopia.com The name of the tool is Airlift... there is an original version and an Airlift II which is not as heavy duty as the original (good for occasional users, instead of professional use day in and day out). I ordered the Airlift II, which cost me about $90 shipped. So here is what it looks like and how it works:

1. Here is the tool. I am holding it by the coolant hose, which goes into a container of coolant to draw into the engine. I mixed 2 gallons of Dex-Cool (that's expensive stuff by the way!) with 2 gallons of water (a 50/50 mix that the owner's manual recommends) in a clean 5-gallon bucket. You need to have more coolant in the bucket than you need, because when your system is full you don't want the hose to suck the bucket dry - that would be drawing air in, which is what we want to avoid here. The other end of the tool connects to an air compressor, 90 psi minimum. A small air compressor might have the pressure, but not enough airflow, so make sure it is a good-sized air compressor when you do this.

airlift1.jpg

2. Your cooling system will need to be empty to start. Also, the instructions recommend turning your heater on full-blast, so I turned my ignition key on, set the A/C on auto, and cranked the temp knobs up all the way. Next, the tool goes into the coolant reservoir as shown. You will need to remove the corrugated plastic overflow tube on the reservoir and put something there to plug that hole up tightly. I used a piece of 1/2" heater hose with a plastic cap shoved into the other end. Next, you just push the button and watch the gauge until it reads about 25. The radiator hoses will actually collapse from the vacuum you create in the system (this is OK). Once it reads 25, stop and wait 20 seconds - if the gauge does not rise, then your cooling system has no leaks. Next, open the coolant valve on the tool until the coolant rises up the hose to the tool. The gauge will have fallen, because the air in the hose just entered your cooling system. No problem, just push the button on the tool again and remove the air... get the gauge back to 25. Then, open the coolant valve and fill your system until the level is correct in the coolant reservoir. Warm the truck up to operating temperature, and then screw the coolant reservoir cap back on. That's it!

airlift2.jpg

3. Here is the end result... after warming it up, I took it for a somewhat aggressive test drive. The gauge stayed right where the picture shows. Outside temperature was 86* according to my rear-view mirror. So far, so good... we'll see what the Florida summer brings next year.

tempgauge.jpg

I hope this helpful - I noticed a lot of people posting about problems when doing the 160* thermostat mod. I don't know if anyone else had a pesky air bubble that wouldn't go away... but if so this seems the be the answer. :chevy:

Archived