Photo
- - - - -

About to purchase an 04 AWD SS, want to upgrades ASAP, HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusU

MarcusU

SS Newbie

• 5 posts
  • Name:Marcus
  • Owns:Fan

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Tomorrow i'm picking up an 04 SS AWD with 109k on it. It is all stock besides 24's, ,magnaflow exhaust, and stereo. I have about $2500 to spend on upgrades/aftermarket parts. I am into power, would appreciate anyones advice with what i should do with my money to gain some hp/tq/performance in general. Thank you!! Pics will come soon. 

Thinking about CAI, aftermarket cam from Texas Speed, headers?? 

#2 FASTDIESEL

FASTDIESEL

SS Member

• Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Name:Jimmy Ray
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Victory Red
  • Year:2005
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 06 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

I don't think you're going to get headers and a cam within your budget, UNLESS you're doing the labor yourself.

Long tube headers (go ahead and go with 1 7/8"), electric fans, and a tune. 

Make sure all is sound mechanically before you start the mods. I had to do a front diff at 98K miles!

Welcome to the money pit! LOL!

#3 MarcusU

MarcusU

SS Newbie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

Thanks dude! Yeah i'll be doing the work with some buddies. Used to be into prerunners so hopefully this won't be as financially stressful. Appreciate the feedback

#4 matslp488

matslp488

Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2005
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

If you can find a used magnacharger for around 3k... go for it

#5 Blown 346

Blown 346

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  • Color:Arrival Blue
  • Year:2004

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:41 AM

I agree, Electric fans, the electric fan wiring harness, Longtube headers 1 7/8.  catch can, then a tune.  I would save up what you have left for cosmetic items like we all have to add to make it our own.        I do have Electric fans for sale but no harness.

#6 SSmoothSilSS

SSmoothSilSS

*Elite SS Member*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Color:Victory Red
  • Year:2003

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:53 AM

I don't think you're going to get headers and a cam within your budget, UNLESS you're doing the labor yourself.

Long tube headers (go ahead and go with 1 7/8"), electric fans, and a tune. 

Make sure all is sound mechanically before you start the mods. I had to do a front diff at 98K miles!

Welcome to the money pit! LOL!

I would also have someone check the diff out, alot truck have had to change the out around that mileage, I think I paid $1700 for my rebuild.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/220485 03 Red Silverado SS, Frederico F/B Swaybars, 03 Honeycomb Grille, 22" Replicas, Lowered 2/2 with Bell Tech Spindles and Shackles. BlackBear Tune.

03 Silverado RCSB Clone SS, 4/6 Drop, Chrome 22 Reps, 6.0 LQ0 Motor, (in progress)

96 Impala SS Black, mods include CIA Headers, Cat Delete, SSmooth Bumpers, Alu. Driveshaft, Herb Adams Sway Bars, JM Control Arms, Eibach Springs, Simmons Wheels 18 inch.
2010 Camaro RS/SS BLK 6 sp. 22 inche SV-1 Wheel, Pedders Adj. Coil overs.

Black SS clone #3
  Silverado SS Silverado SS

#7 Fast04Chevy

Fast04Chevy

Veteran SS Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Tomorrow i'm picking up an 04 SS AWD with 109k on it. It is all stock besides 24's, ,magnaflow exhaust, and stereo. I have about $2500 to spend on upgrades/aftermarket parts. I am into power, would appreciate anyones advice with what i should do with my money to gain some hp/tq/performance in general. Thank you!! Pics will come soon. 

Thinking about CAI, aftermarket cam from Texas Speed, headers?? 

Congrats on the the new truck! I would highly recommend you check and replace all fluids. The front diff and transfer case would be the first two fluids to get done. As for power there are lots of options..... My question to you would be what is your end goal with this truck.  I would keep the stock airbox (this is not the limiting factor of air flow). Depending on if it has a CEL or any dash lights I would tend to those first, than get a Custom Tune. Longtubes will get the truck moving and there are several options from $350-$1,500 catted/ without cats. You can pick up a LS2 90mm Silver blade TB and and X-link for about $400 total. Finally, cams there's a million options. What do you want your driveability to be also this goes back to your end goal.I wouldn't purchase a cam until I figured out the build. If you have E-85 stations around you I would jump on that, less than $160 for parts. Hope this helps!

#8 MarcusU

MarcusU

SS Newbie

• 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:54 PM

This site is hard to upload pictures. Says picture is too big, any advice would be nice thanks

#9 Fast04Chevy

Fast04Chevy

Veteran SS Member

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:08 AM

This site is hard to upload pictures. Says picture is too big, any advice would be nice thanks

You will need to resize the photo. Your computer should have some sort of software that opens your media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users