Urgent Duraflex SS style front bumper install help

57peppershaker

Hi Guys

Sorry I dont have a SS nor fitting a gennie SS front bumper, so hope somebody can help.

I purchased a Duraflex SS style front bumper for my 04 Silverado. After spending a fortune shipping it to the UK, its now at the bodyshop for fitting.

Does anybody have info on how to fit it / secure it ect ? Pretty sure I read the lower valance needs to be removed and also some guys have kept the front fog lamps in place ?
My body guy has 40 years experience but never done one of these before.

My trucks in the shop now, hence the urgency.

Someone here probably has pics of the bracketry and such so hopefully that'll get posted soon, but otherwise I gotta say when I saw "Duraflex" I instantly cringed a little. They're notorious for really bad fitment and finish. :(

In the meantime, this might be of SOME help, I dunno how much: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=28

Dunno about the original fog lamps being left in their original spots. From what I've seen the guys using the originals have had to make their own brackets for them, but that's on trucks that did not come with fogs (actual SS's.) Also that Duraflex may be designed with it in mind to attach to a regular Silverado, not an SS, so the fogs just might be fine where they're at. Valance and top cap would definitely need to come off as the cover sits on top of just the metal portion of a regular front bumper.

I wouldn't think that the Duraflex uses factory brackets that were unique to the SS though...most likely designed to go on without them.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Thanks Richard. I had that diagram someplace but couldnt find it.

Yeah thats the impression im getting with the duraflex bumper. It doesnt come with any brackets or anything. Lets hope my body guy can polish a turd !

Guess shoulda done more research before plunking down money. My chrome metal front bumper is scraped & dinged, so the cover seemed a solution and the SS appeal.

Edited by 57peppershaker (see edit history)

I have a post from last year from and a how to on the fog light mounting with brackets from lowes, and some bolts and nuts. Took all over about an hour to get things the way i wanted it. Search my name and you will find a post from last year for pics of my brackets. The how to was from 2012.

If this is what I think it is my truck had one of these put on originally before I got an OEM one. I think my body guy took the bottom (and top half maybe?) of the bumper off and bolted this one over the middle bar (which was the chrome part of the bumper). The bumper had mounting holes on the sides on the inside of the fender well and mounting holes where the grille goes in the center if I remember correctly. I think there was also 3m tape involved on the middle bar and on top to prevent the bumper from warping but I am not certain. Let me know if there's anything I can do or answer to help!

Edited by Thing1 (see edit history)

Thanks for your replys. It was only the lower valance that needed to be removed.

Its now fitted after a lot of work. My body guy had to cut / repair it in 7 places to get it to fit right. A real pain in the butt. I imagine anybody using tape to hold it on would be crazy.

I didnt fit the front fogs as there was a big gap due to the air ducts being a different shape, so got some mesh to match the centre opening.

Its too late now, but I asume that genuine SS bumpers are no longer produced ?

Heres it all finished

post-28354-0-10871500-1525716029_thumb.jpg

post-28354-0-43039100-1525716061_thumb.jpg

The OEM cover is still out there for around $275-$450 depending on source, but I have no idea what stock levels look like. Not showing as a discontinued part yet so that's promising.

Reproduction cover is available from around $100-$200.

I suppose in your situation the tough part is finding someone that will ship internationally in a way that doesn't cost a fortune. Also, you'd still need the brake ducts and grille mesh, not sure how much of that did or did not come with your Duraflex bumper. I'm guessing the Duraflex probably has the brake ducts molded in?

The ducts, mesh, and brackets are all $$$$$ from GM and there's always the possibility of finding out some are no longer available, though so far -most- of the part #'s are still good.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

One of my buddies also bought one of these for his truck... the openings are indeed larger than an original bumper but he managed to find a broken front grille at the junk yard for cheap and cut it to make the lower mesh for the cover...

Thanks for the info Richard.

Everything is moulded in on the Duraflex copy. The centre mesh is provided but thats it.

I use a shipping guy who brings containers or parts from New Jersey to England. It was only way to get it here due to the size of the box.

I guess a GM bumper and everything would have cost more than double but would have been less body shop hours ?