Steps to supercharging an 03 SS

So I want to supercharge my SS in the future and was wondering what weak points you've experienced with the truck and what needs to be beefed up before doing so. Going for a street/strip set up that can be daily driven as well as do decent on the track.

So I want to supercharge my SS in the future and was wondering what weak points you've experienced with the truck and what needs to be beefed up before doing so. Going for a street/strip set up that can be daily driven as well as do decent on the track.

The trans is a weak point. Depending on how much power you are looking to make also makes a big difference, along with boost.

The 4L80e is a popular swap to beef up the transmission, but read through the swap threads as there is some additional work that goes along with the swap such as modifying the cross member, different driveshafts, wiring for speed sensors, etc.

Got ya, what about the transfer case and rear end, how do they tend to hold up to that kind of power?

A T/A cover would help alot. The transfer case is iffy, Mine is built along with the 4L80 Swap and a custom made driveshaft and the Rear end built along with a ton of other stuff. But my truck makes over 800 to all 4 wheels. A bigger trans cooler is a must atleast to me, along with a aftermarket torque converter, the stocker wont like it and will burn up or melt the inside.

Some suspension will also help take some stress off the front diff. I have 2500 tie rods as the are larger, you run the risk of snapping those stockers, and larger sway bars, Cal trac bars and larger leaf springs to handle load off the line. A 8 rip pulley setup will be a necessity as it will stop belt slip. Innovative West is what i have along with the tensioner and it woks great. I would also look into electric fans. I have those and another set that I want gone. You would only have to get the wiring harness for it and have it tuned for them to come on at certain temps.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Interestingly mine already has electric fans on it. And as for your transfer case and trans, any particular kits you would reccomend to beef those up? My end goal is somewhere around 600 so any and all things you could reccomend for anything that's need to be replaced I'd greatly appreciate it. I've spent my life with f bodies so these trucks are completely new to me

Interestingly mine already has electric fans on it. And as for your transfer case and trans, any particular kits you would reccomend to beef those up? My end goal is somewhere around 600 so any and all things you could reccomend for anything that's need to be replaced I'd greatly appreciate it. I've spent my life with f bodies so these trucks are completely new to me

I honestly would build the entire trans and have a new pump put in, servos performance clutches, bands, etc. Have it built for more power than you plan on making as a safety point. Think of the truck basically as a F body but with an iron block. being AWD there is alot to think about, The front diffs on theses truck go out being stock, as well as transfer cases. I would for sure do the trans and cross member for it, driveshaft, front diff, 2500HD tie rods, transfer case build, trans, and larger trans cooler is a must, and a T/A cover for the rear end.

• 3 weeks later...

The leaf spring upgrade s mainly for lowered trucks to help support the weight of the truck so it doesnt bottom out. It can still bottom out even with cut bushings and Beltech shocks. But it helps strengthen everything in the rear and give it more support.

Rear cover.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Strange-Engineering/873/R5203/10002/-1

Caltrac traction bars.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Strange-Engineering/873/R5203/10002/-1

You will need to adjut the pinion angle with the installatin of the caltrac bars. It does change the pitch of the whole rear end.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/25916-caltrac-question/

No problems just a direct replacement except this puts pressure on the rear end caps to strengthen them. Just use the right fluid and clean up the the old mating surface and use a good RTV, I use high temp its orange or red. Dont go wiping everything out the the rear end or using brake clean. Just let her drip until she is done, if there is a little fluid left at the bottom thats fine. once everything is done fill it the rear end up until it starts to come out of the fill hole then put the plug in and your ready to go. It also calls for an additive I believe with the rear fluid. Use synthetic. Your owners manual will tell you all of that.

• 2 weeks later...

Got ya, what about the transfer case and rear end, how do they tend to hold up to that kind of power?

Honestly as far as the transfer case goes, it will handle more than you plan to put into. I wouldn't worry about it until you start hitting 800-1000hp. The only problem that is common is the bearing wearing through the case on a few trucks. I cant remember the exact fix but it wasn't much. As far as everything else I agree with a T/A cover and such. I have 4:56 gears and my front diff is doing great still. But keep in mind my truck is not a DD by far so I cant help much beyond what I have read and talked about through out the years on this forum.