2/4 drop causing extreme positive pinion angle

QuickStyle

just did a 2/4 drop on my 04 SS (spindle, shackles, hangers). you can visually tell the driveline and pinion are pointing up, so i check with my angle finder and it calculates out to POSITIVE 7 degrees, i understand a slight pinion angle change can occur, but this is not right. leaf spring rear ends should be NEGATIVE 5-7 degrees. is this something that happens because of the lowering, i didnt measure the angle prior to installing the lowering kit, so i dont know how it was before

post-27531-0-73452500-1521322128_thumb.jpg

post-27531-0-07395600-1521322136_thumb.jpg

A couple shims might help

I would need about 14 degrees of shims to make it correct, seems like a lot. im thinking more along the lines that something is wrong. the kit came with a 1 degree wedge to correct pinion angle, but thats clearly not enough.

I see you have the hotchkis rear sway bar..... where did you get that?

it came on the truck when i bought it

I would need about 14 degrees of shims to make it correct, seems like a lot. im thinking more along the lines that something is wrong. the kit came with a 1 degree wedge to correct pinion angle, but thats clearly not enough.

it came on the truck when i bought it

You should sell it to me. It may cause harm with that drop..... lol

Your pinion angle and yoke angle have to be the same to avoid vibration. Since the one at the tranny/transfer cant be changed, the axle must be rotated to match the opposite angle. Do a search for pinion angle and you will get more diagrams than you need.

The 4 to 6 degrees is not uncommon when ride height is changed, but more won't hurt anything. The important thing is the angle is the same at both ends. (But wait, I said that already.)

installed 8 degree shims. im now sitting at -1 degrees. looks much better. i thought stock was -5 to -7 degrees, but after verifing a few other 99-06 silverados visually and they all seem to be stock at 0 degrees or so, found one with a 2/4 drop and it had the same -7 angle as mine originally did, so i guess this is normal. i figure -1 degrees should put me at 0 under load at the power level im at, just perfect. not sure why the drop kit doesnt include a shim to correct this.

post-27531-0-02539200-1521768864_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, QuickStyle said:

installed 8 degree shims. im now sitting at -1 degrees. looks much better. i thought stock was -5 to -7 degrees, but after verifing a few other 99-06 silverados visually and they all seem to be stock at 0 degrees or so, found one with a 2/4 drop and it had the same -7 angle as mine originally did, so i guess this is normal. i figure -1 degrees should put me at 0 under load at the power level im at, just perfect. not sure why the drop kit doesnt include a shim to correct this.

post-27531-0-02539200-1521768864_thumb.jpg

Where did you get the 8 degree shims ? 

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 6:39 PM, Guest Avva said:

Where did you get the 8 degree shims ? 

8 degree shim is made by rubicon express part number RE1469. the centering hole was too small for silverado, so you will have to use a drill press to make the hole bigger (hand drill will not work), but its the only shim i could find with that big of a degree to make it work.

also if you have awd, you will need 1" cv axle spacers to use the 2" drop in the front or the cv joint will pull itself out of the joint. i used part number 10805 made by tuff country