SS Newbie

• 1 posts
  • Name:Doug
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

Hey there, i have a silverado ss noticed a humming coming from my front end over the last few weeks. Orignally thought it was a wheel bearing no big deal. I go to swap the wheel bearing and its fine.. turns out i have a bad pinon bearing in the front diff. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on getting a bearing kit done.... i would rather find a new diff if i can or a good remanufactored one.. any recommendations or other comments?

If i do end up having to rebuild mine it wont just be the bearings it will be everything. Full rebuild. Just would rather buy a new unit if i can and swap it in lol.

Thanks alot. Looking to make a move soon as this is my daily driver

#2 stickler88

SS Member

• Supporting Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Name:Rick
  • Color:Arrival Blue
  • Year:2004

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

It's not hard to do if you have knowledge of a differential, pullers to get the carrier and pinion bearings off and a dial gauge to set the back lash. Look on youtube for gm ifs differential rebuild and you will see what it will be. If not, I tried to get a buddy of mine to let me show him and he just wanted to do a swap. He got his from justchevytrucks.com. If he doesn't have it in stock, he had his built within a day and shipped. Installed it 4 days later and still running like a champ.

#3 Doughty08

Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2003

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Like stickler said its pretty straight forward job with common tools, dont have to have pullers if your handy with a cut off wheel lol but will need a press to put them back on. Two day job and can do a full rebuild for just over 100 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users