Any other 200,000+ miles SSS owners out there?

Twistedtool

There were a few years ago but those members havent been online here in over a year. The thing I can say as far as issues go, is the oil cooler lines that run from the front of the trucks oil cooler, to the driverside of the engine block will start to seep as the rubber breaks down. They are a PIA to replace due to all the bends the hard line has. plus the length of them. The good side is they arent expensive. Intermediate steering shaft issues, you will hear this clunk going over a bump etc and feel it it thru the steering wheel. alot of other GM vehicles have that same issue. GM parts direct sells them and give a lifetime warranty. Already replaced mine twice thru them. Otherwise as long as you keep up with fluid changes like front diff, transfer case, rear diff, trans fluid and filter, your good.

I’m about 1500 miles away from 200,000 I bought it with 66,666 miles in 2006 been my ride or die ever since never let me down like said fluid change all around regularly I do transmissions and motor oil by mileage and I do front and rear differential and transfer case every November just before winter sets in hasn’t failed me yet.

I've got 250k in mine (405 000km). It's been winter driven in the salt, towed sleds all over, towed heavy scrap for a year before I rescued it. I changed all the fluids as they were all original! The plugs were also original and nothing was left I can't believe it was running with no SES light. The body was bagged up so I took care of that (see my album) but it's clean and was never rust proofed. Guess it saw the car wash often and never sat long enough to rot. The driver's seat shows wear but don't they all? Getting that done soon. I replaced the front calipers and all takes lines/hoses to try and get a firmer brake pedal and because they were ugly. Performed an ABS delete. Takes much better but pedal still soft. Could be master or that's just how those old chevys are??? Engine runs strong but there might be I little knock or it could be an idler pully. Smells like coolant, need to top it up every once in a while but no apparent leaks. Transmission getting sloppy but that depends on your driving, if you drive easy or wide open it's fine lol. I think the transfer case is acting up but that might be because I filled it with Dex6, oops. Will be swapping with Auto Trak II next Time i get in the truck. I had the steering clunk also, I just removed the original one and shaved some metal in the clamp part of the shaft to allow it to clamp harder(drive bolt further) on the steering box, also cleaned and greased it. No more clunk! A few Exhaust manifold studs are broken and it's starting to leaks. As soon as I put the trans and/or motor I will be getting longtube headers so that's that. So I'm now at a point where I'm keeping my eyes open for LQ9's and 4L80's that I can rebuild in a nonchalant way. It's not my DD, so it will likely only get a few thousand miles of use per year now and it's always parked in a heated garage being babied. So it might last a while as it is. But would rather upgrade the powertrain before it's too late, the sloppy transmission is a little annoying....

I got close before trading it in back in Dec 2017 had it since Feb 2008, got to 188k and was still clean and ran like a champ, it’s just we needed more room for the family so got a 14 High Country crew cab

I've got 250k in mine (405 000km). It's been winter driven in the salt, towed sleds all over, towed heavy scrap for a year before I rescued it. I changed all the fluids as they were all original! The plugs were also original and nothing was left I can't believe it was running with no SES light. The body was bagged up so I took care of that (see my album) but it's clean and was never rust proofed. Guess it saw the car wash often and never sat long enough to rot. The driver's seat shows wear but don't they all? Getting that done soon. I replaced the front calipers and all takes lines/hoses to try and get a firmer brake pedal and because they were ugly. Performed an ABS delete. Takes much better but pedal still soft. Could be master or that's just how those old chevys are??? Engine runs strong but there might be I little knock or it could be an idler pully. Smells like coolant, need to top it up every once in a while but no apparent leaks. Transmission getting sloppy but that depends on your driving, if you drive easy or wide open it's fine lol. I think the transfer case is acting up but that might be because I filled it with Dex6, oops. Will be swapping with Auto Trak II next Time i get in the truck. I had the steering clunk also, I just removed the original one and shaved some metal in the clamp part of the shaft to allow it to clamp harder(drive bolt further) on the steering box, also cleaned and greased it. No more clunk! A few Exhaust manifold studs are broken and it's starting to leaks. As soon as I put the trans and/or motor I will be getting longtube headers so that's that. So I'm now at a point where I'm keeping my eyes open for LQ9's and 4L80's that I can rebuild in a nonchalant way. It's not my DD, so it will likely only get a few thousand miles of use per year now and it's always parked in a heated garage being babied. So it might last a while as it is. But would rather upgrade the powertrain before it's too late, the sloppy transmission is a little annoying....

The driver bolster wears alot. If you clean and condition often you will be fine, atleast mine was. The pedal being soft is probably the master cylinder. The way to check is to push the brake down and then push more, if it goes to the floor its bad. I bled mine on the truck and it only took about 10 minutes if that. I would definitely change to the Auto Trak 2 as soon as you can before wear really starts to set it in.

Alos do the front and rear diff with synthetic.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has 235,000 miles on it, bought it at the end of 2009 with 72,000 on it. I am currently shopping/compiling a list of parts that I need to rebuild the front steering and suspension. Somehow it still has the original transmission in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my ISS with 108k

Currently with 211k

Ive routinely changed all fluids(replaced Trans Servos on the back of the pan when I broke them accidentally)

Replaced the water pump with an ACDelco Replacement(did T-stat while in there)@210k

It does need the driver side seat foam/cover/seat heater element replaced.(I believe the previous owner was a big dude)

Other than that it has not required any unscheduled maintenance.

• 2 years later...