New to owning an SS

blss

Along with the truck I also got a 1997 Honda Prelude with a H22a Euro R Swapped drivetrain both fun in different ways feels totally different swapping vehicles though

Yeah it is different I have a 91 civic SI and today was the forest time I drove it since I got the truck and man does it feel different i feel like I'm riding a go-kart since it's pretty much almost sitting on the ground, which is something that I want to do to the truck also but I don't know how can I lower it before needing to c-notch the frame

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah it is different I have a 91 civic SI and today was the forest time I drove it since I got the truck and man does it feel different i feel like I'm riding a go-kart since it's pretty much almost sitting on the ground, which is something that I want to do to the truck also but I don't know how can I lower it before needing to c-notch the frame

for a really nice ride I’d say any lower then stock because you hit the bump stop at stock height I know some kits say they dont require it but any lower then stock without it would make for a shit Quality

Hey welcome and congrats.. i have an 04 arrival blue too. Have to agree with others they didnt have to make the headliner look like that but oh well...get it re done, get a seat heater and some covers and your interior will be back up to par... second, the front diff does have a little growl when turning, my diff that came with my truck even had a faint whine and growl... but after buying a case and building one myself to spec with all good stuff it still growls in the turns some..look in this site and read up..there is alot of good info..

Hey welcome and congrats.. i have an 04 arrival blue too. Have to agree with others they didnt have to make the headliner look like that but oh well...get it re done, get a seat heater and some covers and your interior will be back up to par... second, the front diff does have a little growl when turning, my diff that came with my truck even had a faint whine and growl... but after buying a case and building one myself to spec with all good stuff it still growls in the turns some..look in this site and read up..there is alot of good info..

The interior and the diff growl are the main things on my list (although my diff does the growling driving in a straight line I haven't tried it while turning) I also want to get the cluster and interior switched over to L.E.D. lighting and was wondering if there was a kit for this truck??

is it loud or faint? Mine was faint but noticeable but after the teardown the bearings were just worn. Like I said even after setting up my new one to the tightest backlash I could staying within spec it still growls a little turning, example today at 18 mph on a 90 degree turn on the road but in a straight line it's quiet. Does it do it all the time or at certain conditions and speed? But even still most of the time it's the carrier bearings wearing. I have read where back in the day when these trucks were new someone got one replaced under warranty and it still growls... also you may be hearing other things like hub bearings and cv shafts....

is it loud or faint? Mine was faint but noticeable but after the teardown the bearings were just worn. Like I said even after setting up my new one to the tightest backlash I could staying within spec it still growls a little turning, example today at 18 mph on a 90 degree turn on the road but in a straight line it's quiet. Does it do it all the time or at certain conditions and speed? But even still most of the time it's the carrier bearings wearing. I have read where back in the day when these trucks were new someone got one replaced under warranty and it still growls... also you may be hearing other things like hub bearings and cv shafts....

This one basically starts with a whining around 40 mph while accelerating up until 65-70 mph, but if you let go of the accelerator or just cruise in that range it will stop whining

I would have to say it's your bearings being worn. My bearings had some wear but were not terrible. And at 40 under light throttle I could hear it. Taking your foot off the gas creates a drag on the driveline because it is awd. To me it sounds like your carrier bearings are worn more than mine were. There have been some pics posted on here with guys showing those bearings far worse than mine being pitted up and the races looked like hell and all that was mentioned was whining and growling. Unless you buy this truck privately and they tell you what's been done and when.. it's a guess to figure out if it was serviced in a timely manner, if it has been rebuilt, etc. I just did a full driveline rebuild on mine. Tranny, front diff, transfer case, u joints front and rear and the rear end. I thought my front was the problem but after all said and done it was my already built tranny that I didn't expect to fail. My front was worn, but it could have given me more had I just dealt with the tranny. So while I was there I took the guess work out of the rest of the driveline and went through all of it.

I would have to say it's your bearings being worn. My bearings had some wear but were not terrible. And at 40 under light throttle I could hear it. Taking your foot off the gas creates a drag on the driveline because it is awd. To me it sounds like your carrier bearings are worn more than mine were. There have been some pics posted on here with guys showing those bearings far worse than mine being pitted up and the races looked like hell and all that was mentioned was whining and growling. Unless you buy this truck privately and they tell you what's been done and when.. it's a guess to figure out if it was serviced in a timely manner, if it has been rebuilt, etc. I just did a full driveline rebuild on mine. Tranny, front diff, transfer case, u joints front and rear and the rear end. I thought my front was the problem but after all said and done it was my already built tranny that I didn't expect to fail. My front was worn, but it could have given me more had I just dealt with the tranny. So while I was there I took the guess work out of the rest of the driveline and went through all of it.

Right on... Yeah mine doesn't growl it's just a humming above 40 with light acceleration, once I let go off the gas pedal it's quiet. And yes you're right since i bought it from a dealer the maintenance history is not available so I got an oil change a few days ago and I'm going to take it into the shop to get the transmission and transfer case serviced also flush the brake fluid and power steering etc etc si that way I have records of all that and also get the differential or both fixed, I don't feel to confident to do that on my own and I really don't have the time either. Also I've heard/read allot of people swapping a 4L80 into these trucks but I can't find out any info as to why, I mean do the transmissions on these trucks have issues or is the 4L80 just a better trans performance wise?

4L80 can take more abuse and handle more power..but dont think 4L65s are trash.. theres a guy in this forum making 10 sec passes at the drag strip with a 4L65..... 4L65 is not a bad tranny either if you beef it up.. when I installed a cam on my truck I also did the stall converter, vette servo, and shift kit and it takes a lot of abuse and still shifts like butter

4L80 can take more abuse and handle more power..but dont think 4L65s are trash.. theres a guy in this forum making 10 sec passes at the drag strip with a 4L65..... 4L65 is not a bad tranny either if you beef it up.. when I installed a cam on my truck I also did the stall converter, vette servo, and shift kit and it takes a lot of abuse and still shifts like butter

Right on, yesterday I had a small scare with this trans, basically I put it into 3rd when I realized I did I bumped it into dive as I'm getting home i hit traffic on the off ramp then I the gas and 2nd gear starts slipping I'm like WTF I then check if it's completely in drive and no it wasn't, it was in between drive and neutral. I was already thinking man I'm going to need a trans also? But luckily I had just bumped it a little to far

I agree to some point. The 4L65 isn't bad if beefed up. I just went through my second and this time I put sonnax billet shafts and the borg sprag, oversized bushing pretty much what iv'e seen people say to build one to handle 1000 HP. We will see but in the mean time I am setting myself up to throw in the 4L80 and be done with it. Also too I was thinking aside from the front diff making noise make sure your hub bearings aren't shot. When mine went out it made my front diff sound horrible like it was gonna blow and it ended up being hub bearings....

• 1 year later...