Off-road tires

Martinet83

ive ripped mine in 2-3 ft of snow with 285/55/20 Nitto Dune Grappler E Load 5ply tires they are heavy tires but indestructible Awd drifting up snow covered mountain roads going into Rangeley Maine with a Trailer and 2 SnowMobiles thing goes any where you want with the right traction tires way better then any switchable 4x4 Z71

Luckily it doesn't snow where I live. Sand on the other hand is abundant here. The truck is a bit to heavy for sand unless you come in at high speeds or have bigger diameter tires. I bet this thing woild be a blast in the drt or moderate mud. I'll keep mine for the road only though.

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly disagree my opinion it’s a lowered Z71 with Better Traction best year round vehicle been tested since 2006 up here in New England never been Towed and never Been Stuck going through snow my buddies Tundra TRD off-road package Couldn’t go through without getting stuck same stuff I was killing with my truck without any hesitation Guy was beside himself watching me snow flying through the air like a mud truck in a mud pit from all 4 Wheels

I strongly disagree my opinion it’s a lowered Z71 with Better Traction best year round vehicle been tested since 2006 up here in New England never been Towed and never Been Stuck going through snow my buddies Tundra TRD off-road package Couldn’t go through without getting stuck same stuff I was killing with my truck without any hesitation Guy was beside himself watching me snow flying through the air like a mud truck in a mud pit from all 4 Wheels

Snow is a little different then Off-road. My rsx with snow tires plowed through snow with not problems of getting stuck even my crown vic would...... Take it through mud and I bet it would get stuck. Even with great tires in mud you will get stuck you need ground clearance.

Id trade my awd for 4x4.

Snow is a little different then Off-road. My rsx with snow tires plowed through snow with not problems of getting stuck even my crown vic would...... Take it through mud and I bet it would get stuck. Even with great tires in mud you will get stuck you need ground clearance.

Id trade my awd for 4x4.

i don’t take my truck though mud but we get snow for close to 4 months out of the year and I know about mud Google Mud Fest in Halifax Ma we have some of the best mud trucks in the country all guys I’ve grown up with and they are not stock 4x4 axles they are running Spools or welded differentials which is a whole new world of traction compared to a stock set of 4x4 axles the np149 transfer case doesn’t have any shift forks or electronics besides your speed sensor less things to go wrong and Guaranteed to put the traction to both front and rear axles without shift actuator failure that’s common in the switchable 4wheel and the rear axle stock grabs good posi stock the front is not perfect but seems like it’s better then the switchable electronic 4x4 Axle’s That also have failures engaging 4x4 in 200,000 miles I’ve never seen a service 4Wheel drive on my SS and have never seen 1 wheel tire spin from my front end if it isn’t broken it just Works and add some tires with some real traction and they HookUp91802bc79de9d3a75638d485c6b7c8d0.jpg Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

If never been a fan of the electronic 4x4 or auto 4x4, It does make going 4low easier.

the Silverado SS drivetrain from the transfer case to the front and rear axles do not have any electronics to fail and always just works most of the z71 front ends in stock form seem to have a lot of 1 wheel peel from my experience plowing in the winter and I’ve never experienced any 1 wheel peel in my SS leading me to believe it’s got better traction instead of jumping back in forth from one wheel to the other auto hubs fail all the time and the auto transfer cases as well get a lifted z71 swap in a front diff and NP149 transfer case and go ripping and compare it to a stock one and I have no doubt it would out perform a stock z71 off-road.

I don't think an ss would, but each there own.

I'd put money on it my dad's f150 would walk circles around my ss off roading. My buddies newer z71 I'd be willing to bet it would also.

A lowred truck with nothing to protect the transmission or t case, little suspension travel. It's a performance truck not an off road truck....

I’m not saying going off-roading but I’ve never driven anything else that would climb a snow covered mountain road in Maine with a trailer and 2 Snowmobiles on the Back I drop it in 3 and Hammer up that Mountain hard on the Throttle without any tire not doing its JOB if 1 spins they all spin the AWD Just Works put it into something with suspension travel and it would be a Beast off-road only an idiot takes an SS off-road but the AWD system is a Beast.

I'd still take my shiftable transfercase, I still have yet to be impressed by awd setup. I see them as glass. They work ok in cars and suvs but I'd still take a low range t case.
The ss is really the only awd truck that I know of. If it was a 1500hd id like probably a little more, but it does what I need it to.

I always like to drive around in 2wd, only need 4wd maybe like 1% of the time if not less. The turning circle of anything awd and 4wd is terrible also.

I'm still trying to get the ropes of GM, I still think the still between 2007 and 2014 is junk. Iv always been a ford guy for trucks, iv owned a few mopars and I think those are the worst.

Edited by Amazi (see edit history)