Too much rust? Thoughts

Silverado_George

I decided on the 05' but something happened. yesterday i negotiated the price but later in the night, the manager called me and told me that the truck was in the shop and he didn't know why.. if it were something major he would have been notified is what he told me and that he would call me today morning to let me know what it was and he told me it was smog related.. i checked the history of the vehicle through Carfax and it basically disappeared off the grid.. no yearly registration renewal, no emissions testing, nothing... this seems fishy to me unless the truck was in mexico since it's so close to the border

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's rusty? Haha I have yet to see a car that doesn't have surface rust on the frame rails. Litteraly nothing to ever worrie about on that. It won't spread, cab corners and rockers are the rotting points for trucks. It's a full frame truck iv seen early 90s semis with over a million miles that look no different then my 07 crown Vic did on the frame rails.

The jap trucks are they only trucks I k ow that have issues with frames rusting to where it's an issue.

Just cause the state gets snow doesn't mean they put crap on the road for it to melt ice, colorado only puts sand down while here we put a chemical that will rust anything metal if you don't wash it.

In mn we don't do emissions testing the registration bs ether so some states won't show that if they are not required.

I'd check the dealer ratings more I see they are a 3 out of 5. I wouldn't give them my money with that rating. If you like it go for it but I see just about stealer-ships as crooks and liars just to get a sale.

UPDATE: So they sent me more detailed pictures a while ago and the rust is all over the frame on the area over the cat, once it's reached the actual frame, that is compromising the integrity of the car, really not worth 20k and they still have it, now you know why because as it turns nobody wants a rusty vehicle :thumbsdown:

I believe you but just as others said surface rust on the frame is very normal. The coating on the frame is just a thin layer of wax from the factory, it wears off, and surface rust sets in. Again the real test on the GMT800 trucks (99-06) is how do the brake lines look, because those rust out like crazy if you're anywhere that gets salty.

Hell I built this 1994 3500HD and although I POR-15'd the frame to make it look better, this thing was nothing but surface rust, looks awful but is 100% solid.

35hd_03s.jpg

BUT, the fact that this dealer has had the truck all this time...says a lot...did they even tell you why it had suddenly gone into the shop last month?

As I had said earlier in this post from the flaws the truck has it's a bit overpriced, so...it does seem to be getting less attractive by the minute! :)

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

Here's what I see as completely normal and their didn't turn me off the same on mine. I couldent use my actual pic as nothing is working right for me right now but here is normal and then bad

normal nothing to stress about

post-29460-0-63385400-1519448082_thumb.jpg

bad not drivable anymore, this is really common on jap trucks and Toyotas get it the worst.

post-29460-0-74362400-1519448167_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amazi (see edit history)

​It might be still these cause as id see it like others have said, Its 12+ years old and they want 19 to 20k. Could get something newer that's 4x4, the ford 3.5 twin turbo eco boost is a lot faster then the chevy 6.0 ss, 0-60 in 5 to 6 seconds... 20k for an older truck the crowd is probably thin. Iv never been to cali nor do I really wanna, so I cant really see what people drive there. I seen down in Florida a few months ago everyone drove a diesel truck for some reason.

Those stepp motors on the gauges that's probably why also. It's being the temp gauge and not being able to monitor that could be a reason it's still for sale. If the head got cooked yeah then its not worth much.

Edited by Amazi (see edit history)

Uhm. Ive never seen a frame that bad here like ever. Even the ones at our junkyards that have been sitting there for decades.

One word...... Salt! If your anywhere they salt the roads or near the ocean they look like that......

• 1 month later...

Month old thread, did you find a truck?

The "rust" in your pics is just surface. It's not s big deal and very common. Take a wire brush, clean it up and if needed get some good spray rust converter.

I would imagine the reason the truck is sitting is because it's age. In order to buy it you either have to have cash or great credit.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk