Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Owns:SS
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2006
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

So I'm thinking off bolting on some longtubes on my truck but need to know exactly what I need to do it right? I'm thinking of longtubes without cats straight into my borla muffler! Will I need a tune? Do I just bolt up the o2 sensers to the headers? Ill most likely be doing this myself except for the cutting and welding parts! Thanks guys!

#2 evildcustoms

evildcustoms

SS Member

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Damian
  • Color:Arrival Blue
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

I just did the Dynatech long tubes over the summer but with cats. Your stock 02 sensors should transfer over unless they come out with the threads ( i ended up replacing one) You definitely should get tuned afterwards. While in there, i would recommend changing the header bolts out to ARP studs and use OEM header gaskets.

Edited by evildcustoms, 25 November 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#3 SS RIDIN

SS RIDIN

Senior SS Member

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Color:Black
  • Year:2006
  • Drivetrain:2WD

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:47 PM

Ok thanks for the info! Is a tune a must? Or can I drive it untuned for a while? Will I have check engine lights on?

#4 LOBO2

LOBO2

SS Newbie

• 16 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Owns:Fan

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

I just did the Dynatech long tubes over the summer but with cats. Your stock 02 sensors should transfer over unless they come out with the threads ( i ended up replacing one) You definitely should get tuned afterwards. While in there, i would recommend changing the header bolts out to ARP studs and use OEM header gaskets.

Were you able to tell a noticeable difference with the addition of the headers?

#5 evildcustoms

evildcustoms

SS Member

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Damian
  • Color:Arrival Blue
  • Year:2003
  • Drivetrain:AWD

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

Ok thanks for the info! Is a tune a must? Or can I drive it untuned for a while? Will I have check engine lights on?

Normally you probably could drive around for a little while but your check engine light will definitely be on. Being you are removing the cats, i am not sure how it would affect the drivability without a tune.

Were you able to tell a noticeable difference with the addition of the headers?

the truck feels a bit more powerful. Idling or cruising it sounds about the same, but when you mash the throttle the truck screams. ( Get a lot of compliments on the sound). Before the headers i was already tuned by Blackbear so i just had them retune for the headers. I am sure if you compared an untuned truck to a header install and tune it would be a lot more dramatic difference.

#6 LOBO2

LOBO2

SS Newbie

• 16 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Owns:Fan

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

Thanks!  I'm BB tuned, but haven't installed my Dynatech LT headers or catted Y pipe yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users