Missing oil..help

So i have a 03 silverado ss 130k awd and its my daily..i had a low oil light on a few months back and found 1 small leak from oil cooler lines so i replaced em a did a fresh 6qt 5w30 mobil 1 high mileage change and mobil 1 filter..so im out the other day and i floored it to merge onto a busy street and i smelled oil but was following a old pickup so figured it was him...so after i got to store i came out and low oil light was on so i dumped a quart in..dont c any leaks pvc valve looks clear whats going on...only mods are dual exhaust dumps after cats 160stat and tr6 plugs with new wires

I had an HD truck with a 6.0 with mystery oil consumption. The oil seemed to form a mist, get sucked up the pcv tube(or whatever its called since there's no pcv valve) it would hit the back of the intake, condense and fill the back of the intake with oil. Once it was full enough, it would run down the back 2 cylinders, and burn(usually on start up). I put a PCV style valve cover off an older LS(99-02?) and that seemed to severely limit how much oil made it to the intake, and the oil consumption went way down.

How often do you change your oil? It isn't uncommon to burn a qt every 5,000 miles....

These days GM considers 1 quart per 2,000 miles to be "normal" - yes, 1 quart per 2,000 miles. It's my opinion they have stretched this to cover up their liability with the early AFM engines that were plagued with so many issues, but hey; again just my opinion.

GM's "engine oil consumption guidelines" -> https://gm.oemdtc.com/698/engine-oil-consumption-guidelines-2016-and-prior-gm-cars-and-gasoline-powered-light-duty-trucks/2

But yes, without knowing how many miles you went before that quart disappeared, it's hard to say much more about it.

Richard

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I had an HD truck with a 6.0 with mystery oil consumption. The oil seemed to form a mist, get sucked up the pcv tube(or whatever its called since there's no pcv valve) it would hit the back of the intake, condense and fill the back of the intake with oil. Once it was full enough, it would run down the back 2 cylinders, and burn(usually on start up). I put a PCV style valve cover off an older LS(99-02?) and that seemed to severely limit how much oil made it to the intake, and the oil consumption went way down.

Great info everyone..whats the valve cover u used ? Like a ls1 car one ?

That truck is long gone, no pics. I did have an '03 escalade that had the PCV hole, but the PCV itself was hollow. It was mostly full of oil sludge, so I replaced it, and the new on was the same way, no spring/valve or what ever is in there, so I got one for an older truck, and it went right in place.