Engine cleaning?

edgarss44

I just goto the local u-spray and pay car wash. I've never had any problem and I usually detail all my cars that way. Just watch what your doing and don't spray any electrical connectors directly. Try not to soak the exhaust manifolds or spray alternator. I don't even use degreaser just pressure and that gets job done.

I haven't had to battle any yet but it seems like the knock sensor area is prone to leakage and gets nasty, from what I've seen on other posts. I'd avoid the intake manifold with the pressure spray especially if you have the engine cover off.

Richard

Dont power wash these unless you want to risk changing out your Knock sensors. The 6.0 center valley that's flat where the knock sensors go are Low spots. Water gets there, pools up and Has No where to go. Bye bye Knock sensors. I'm talking from experience here so learn from my mistake. If you do research on this you will see tons of people having the same Issue when power washing these. Its the design of where the knock sensors go... Stupid design, but is what it is.

Get a rag and some cleaner and detail it that way. It comes out better anyways. You can do the Whole engine spotless in about 30 Minutes.

I used to cover mine in all purpose cleaner and let that dwell for a few minutes, but make sure it doesn't dry on there or it might discolor plastics. Then I would pressure wash everything including underside of the hood, I just wouldn't blast directly into the alternator. Then I'd spray hyper dressing on everything and close the hood. Come back in an hour, or even take a drive to let it dry and it looks perfect. Not greasy/shiny just rich black plastics and all clean. Gotta make sure the motor is completely cool before you do it. I used to do it probably once every few months. Never had an issue.